Koa Eldredge, a two-sport prep star in Hawaii, chooses BYU for baseball, football
(Francisco Kjolseth | The Salt Lake Tribune) BYU's Danny Gelalich, #3, is celebrated by his teammates after BYU defeats Utah in Salt Lake City on Tuesday, May 14, 2019. BYU baseball coach Mike Littlewood has landed another talented prep star from Hawaii, Punahou's Koa Eldredge, who will also play football for the Cougars.
Provo • Another Jaren Hall-type athlete is heading BYU’s way.
Koa Eldredge, a football and baseball star at Punahou High in Honolulu, Hawaii, has committed to play both sports at BYU, he announced on Twitter on Thursday.
Eldredge, 6-foot and 185 pounds, plays receiver on the football team at Punahou and several positions on the baseball team. His father, David Eldredge
, played for BYU’s baseball team in the early 1980s
and also was an assistant coach under Vance Law at BYU.
“From the little boy with a dream, to the young man I am today, I would like to thank all those who stayed by my side,” Koa Eldredge wrote on Twitter. “I would like to thank my brothers for pushing me to be my best and my parents for the countless sacrifices they have made.”
Hall is a backup quarterback on BYU’s football team and completed his first season with the baseball team last spring.
Wide receivers coach Fesi Sitake was Eldredge’s primary recruiter, and the three-star athlete was the Most Valuable Player among receivers at BYU’s football camp in June. He also had an offer from Navy and from some Ivy League schools.
Eldredge is the third receiver from the class of 2020
to commit to the program, joining American Fork’s Devin Downing and Preston Rex of San Clemente, Calif. He is being compared to current Cougar standout Aleva Hifo.
Eldredge becomes the 14th prep standout to commit to BYU
in this year’s signing class, and first since Arizona defensive back Dean Jones (North Canyon High) committed on June 17.
BYU’s 14 Football Commitments from the Class of 2020
• Bodie Schoonover, 6-4, 210 OLB from American Fork, Utah (American Fork High School)
• Logan Pili, 6-1, 195 DB from Provo, Utah (Timpview High School)
• Josh Wilson, 6-0, 197 ILB from Draper, Utah (Corner Canyon High School)
• Nukuluve Helu, 6-1, 200 ATH from Tooele, Utah (Tooele High School)
• Isaiah Perez, 6-3, 240 DE from Othello, Washington (Othello High School)
• Josh Larsen, 6-4, 230 DE from Bountiful, Utah (Woods Cross High School)
• Alex Muti, 6-3, 198 OLB from Kealakekua, Hawaii (Konawaena High School)
• Sol-Jay Maiava, 6-0, 175 QB from Washington, D.C. (St. John’s College High School)
• Devin Downing, 6-2, 175 WR from American Fork, Utah (American Fork High School)
• Bruce Garrett, 5-11, 190 RB from Texarkana, Texas (Pleasant Grove High School)
• Rocky Aitogi, 6-7, 345 OL from Kailua, Kona, Hawaii (Fort Scott (Kan.) College)
• Preston Rex, 6-0, 187 WR from San Clemente, Calif. (San Clemente High School)
• Dean Jones, 6-2, 180 DB from Phoenix, Ariz. (North Canyon High School)
• Koa Eldredge, 6-0, 185 WR from Honolulu, Hawaii (Punahou High School)