Man with weapon killed by Salt Lake City police in shooting

The department releases the name of the dead man, but no specific details about why officers shot.

(Salt Lake City Police Department) Salt Lake City officers conduct a briefing after four officers shot and killed a man with a weapon who allegedly "challenged" them near 875 S. State St. on April 2, 2024.

A man with a weapon was shot and killed by Salt Lake City police officers early Tuesday morning after he allegedly “challenged” them and didn’t follow orders.

The shooting happened after officers received a call around 2:25 a.m. about a man — later identified as 35-year-old Cameron Ammon Cloward — with a weapon in the parking lot of a gas station at 875 S. State Street.

“Upon their arrival, officers found the suspect in the parking lot,” according to a news release. “The suspect had a weapon, challenged officers, and refused to comply with their orders.”

Police said the weapon Cloward was holding was “deadly,” but added that they would not release any information about the “specific type of deadly weapon” while the investigation remains active.

Four officers fired. Medics provided first aid to the man, the new release stated, but he died on scene. No one else was injured.

“The public may never fully realize or understand the volatile, dangerous, and often unpredictable situations our officers face,” Chief Mike Brown said in a statement. “This investigation will gather additional facts, but I am relieved there were no other physical injuries to our officers or other community members. The safety of our city remains our number one priority.”

The department invoked the OICI (Officer Involved Critical Incident) protocol, which mandates an outside agency investigates the shooting. The West Jordan Department will lead the investigation. The four shooting officers have been placed on administrative leave.

This is the sixth police shooting in Utah so far this year, according to a Salt Lake Tribune database.