Man suspected of killing Utah radio host Gaby Ramos extradited from Mexico

Manuel Omar Burciaga-Perea faces multiple charges, including aggravated murder.

A man who had fled to Mexico after prosecutors say he killed local Spanish radio host Gaby Ramos has been extradited from Mexico, Taylorsville police announced Friday.

Manuel Omar Burciaga-Perea, 36, is accused of killing Ramos, whose full name was Gabriela Sifuentes Castilla, in 2021. The 38-year-old had worked as a host on the Spanish radio station La Más Picosita on 1550 AM since March 2020 and often spoke out about violence on her show. Her on-air name was Gaby Ramos.

Burciaga-Perea arrived in Utah late Friday after being extradited from Mexico City, according to a news release. The U.S. Marshals Service turned Burciaga-Perea over to the Taylorsville Police Department, and he is now in Salt Lake County jail.

Police initially arrested him in Chihuahua, Mexico, in November 2022 on charges filed against him in 2021 of aggravated murder, aggravated burglary, aggravated assault, obstruction of justice, and domestic violence in the presence of a child.

Burciaga-Perea had spent the past six months in detention at a federal holding facility in Mexico City.

Ramos, or Sifuentes Castilla, was fatally shot in her sister’s home in Taylorsville on Oct. 17, 2021, police said, police said. Burciaga-Perea was a former romantic partner.

Charging documents state that Burciaga-Perea and Sifuentes Castilla, who weren’t together at the time, went to the same party prior to her killing, and Burciaga-Perea became “enraged” when he saw her dancing with another man.

Later that night, Sifuentes Castilla went to her sister’s home in Taylorsville, where Burciaga-Perea showed up, police said. Castilla and her sister were able to force him out of the house, but he returned about 15 minutes later. Burciaga-Perea shot Castilla several times, and continued to shoot her as she lay on the floor, charging documents state.

(Connor Sanders | The Salt Lake Tribune) Friends and family members leave flowers and candles at a shrine for Gabriela Sifuentes Castilla in Taylorsville on Tuesday, Oct. 19, 2021. Sifuentes Castilla was fatally shot at home early Sunday morning.

A warrant for Burciaga-Perea’s arrest was issued on Nov. 9, 2021, according to court documents, but because he is a Mexican citizen and had fled to Mexico, Taylorsville police didn’t have the authority to detain him, the news release stated.

The Taylorsville Police Department, Salt Lake County district attorney’s office, the U.S. Marshals Service and the Department of Justice all worked together with the Mexican State attorney general’s office and federal court to execute the warrant for Burciaga-Perea’s arrest, according to the release.

“This could not have happened without the teamwork, perseverance and cooperation between offices,” said Taylorsville police Chief Brady Cottam in a statement. “The process was tedious and painstaking, but we are grateful for this significant step toward resolution and justice.”