2 arrested in Salt Lake City shooting that killed 1, injured 2

The person killed in the shooting was allegedly part of an attempted robbery, police said.

(Rick Egan | The Salt Lake Tribune) Salt Lake City Police look through car windows as they investigate a shooting at the Pebble Creek Apartments on 1700 S, where on person was killed and two were injured, on Monday, June 6, 2022.

Salt Lake City Police arrested two people in connection with a Monday shooting at a Salt Lake City apartment complex that left one dead and two injured.

According to a news release from the department, an 18-year-old man and a 20-year-old woman were arrested Wednesday night by Enoch Police after they fled to Cedar City the night of the shooting. The Salt Lake Tribune generally does not name suspects until they have been charged with a crime.

Arrest documents state that the two had a plan to assault and rob the residents of the apartment where the shooting occurred. The plan included another man and 19-year-old Anthony Wheatley, who was fatally shot in the process of the attempted robbery.

The 20-year-old woman told police she arranged the robbery with Wheatley after one of the residents posted on social media that he had marijuana. She allegedly sent the resident messages to make him think she was romantically interested in order to gain access to the apartment, according to arrest documents.

Another man allegedly involved in the planned robbery told police the woman entered the apartment and left the door unlocked so the other three could follow. When the other three entered the apartment they encountered a man, so they pulled out their handguns and began hitting the man.

Several gunshots were fired when a fight broke out between the people inside the apartment. Wheatley died in the shooting, while two others were shot and one was hit with a gun.

Police said Monday night that the two people who were shot received treatment at area hospitals. Both were in “serious” condition as of Tuesday, but one has since been released from the hospital.

An official said Thursday that investigators did not have further information on the other patient’s condition. The investigation remains ongoing.