Taylorsville family mourns death of one twin after mother and children hit by car

(Dan Harrie | The Salt Lake Tribune) A memorial was made by neighbors Wednesday, July 30, 2020 at the place where a 2-year-old girl was killed in Taylorsville as the result of a car hitting her, her mother and her twin sister on Tuesday.

The tragic death of a 2-year-old twin left a Taylorsville family in shock and mourning.

Heather Marroquin was pushing her 22-month-old twins in a stroller on Tuesday along 3200 West near 5000 South when a dog ran into the road and a car braked suddenly to avoid hitting it, according to Unified Police. A vehicle that was following the car rear-ended it, pushing it onto the sidewalk and crushing the Marroquins against a cinder block wall.

One of the twins, Hadley, died at the scene; Bethany was flown by helicopter to Primary Children’s Hospital where she was “rushed into surgery,” according to a GoFundMe page set up on Friday. “She will be facing more surgeries due to her extensive injuries.”

On Sunday afternoon, the family released a statement through the Salt Lake County sheriff’s office expressing gratitude for the community’s support, but also feelings of loss.

“This has been an unbelievable tragic event in the lives of our family,” said family member Bob Barney on behalf of the Marroquins. “It has been difficult to process to comprehend it in our minds. The loss of a precious 2-year-old family member is something no one should ever have to go through.

“We want to thank the neighbors and first responders that were on scene that did all they could to save their lives. We want to thank family, friends and the community for the love, prayers and support. It has been incredible. We as a family feel it and truly appreciate it.”

The GoFundMe page says Heather Marroquin is an “overwhelmed ... single mother” who is “facing the loss of a child along with funeral and hospital expenses ahead. We are trying to raise funds to help ease this burden.”

Heather Marroquin was also seriously injured in the accident. She was taken by ambulance to Intermountain Medical, but “released herself early to be with Bethany” at Primary Children’s Hospital.

“The road ahead for mom and her surviving twin will be long and full of many more difficult challenges,” the family said. “We are grateful for the doctors and the nurses that are caring for mom and baby. Your continued thoughts and prayers in their behalf is very much appreciated.”

As of midday Sunday, the GoFundMe had greatly exceeded its $10,000 goal, raising nearly $35,000.