A fire ignited early Wednesday at the Salt Lake County landfill, and it could smoke for days.
Firefighters received the call at 1:06 a.m., said Salt Lake City Fire Department Capt. Adam Archuleta. Flames were visible at what is formally called the Salt Lake Valley Landfill, 6030 W. California Ave. (1300 South).
Firefighters sprayed water to keep the blaze contained until landfill workers could drive heavy equipment to move earth and more garbage and smother the flames, Archuleta said.
The flames have been doused, but the fire could smolder and smoke for days, Archuleta said. Landfill workers are moving more refuse to further smother the fire and are keeping a watch in case of a flare-up, he said.
Archuleta said a fire breaks out at the landfill about once a year.
“Generally, it’s caused by decomposition,” he said.