Salt Lake City police fatally shoot man in Sugar House standoff

(Trent Nelson | The Salt Lake Tribune) Law enforcement at the scene after an incident where a man barricaded himself in a house on Princeton Avenue near 1100 East in Salt Lake City, Wednesday April 18, 2018.

A man was shot and killed by police outside a home in Sugar House after officers responded to a reported domestic violence situation there Wednesday afternoon.

Police were called to the home — near 1100 East and Princeton Avenue (about 1200 South) — about 12:20 p.m., Salt Lake City Sgt. Brandon Shearer said.

When officers arrived at the home, they tried to talk to the man, later identified as 32-year-old Delorean Pikyavit, who then went inside the house. That prompted police to switch tactics and treat the situation as if they were dealing with a barricaded person and a hostage.

For the next hour, police attempted to talk to Pikyavit, and he came outside eventually, Shearer said.

It’s unclear what happened next, but officers shot Pikyavit about 2 p.m.

“He came out of the home and approached officers. His actions caused the officers to respond, at which time the suspect was shot,” Shearer said.

When asked about the man’s “actions,” Shearer said Salt Lake City police hadn’t spoken to the officers involved, as per the protocol requiring that a separate agency investigate police shootings.

Officers also used “less lethal tools” on Pikyavit, Shearer said, not elaborating on the weapons used.

Pikyavit, in “extremely critical condition,” was taken to a hospital, where he died later, Shearer said.

The sergeant said he didn’t know whether Pikyavit had a weapon when he was shot. Shearer also said he did not know the relationship between the alleged domestic violence victim and the man. He said that the woman involved in the report was never taken into the home, and that there wasn’t a hostage situation.

The woman has since spoken to detectives, but Shearer didn’t know what she said.

As police cordoned off the area and a tactical crew went to the scene with the man reportedly barricaded in the house, officials told nearby residents to stay in their homes. Police also announced via Twitter that the man was suicidal.

The order for residents was lifted about 2:15 p.m.

When asked later whether police still believed Pikyavit was suicidal, Shearer said he knew officers had spoken with the man, but he didn’t know what the man said to them.

West Valley City — whose officers fatally shot a man April 8 after he allegedly ran from police and into a family’s home — will investigate the shooting. Salt Lake City police were wearing body cameras, and any footage gathered will be turned over to West Valley City authorities.

Pikyavit is at least the fourth person killed in a police shooting in Salt Lake County this year, following deaths in Magna, West Valley City and Sandy. A teenager was shot by a Granite School District police officer on March 20, but that boy is alive.

Using lethal force is sometimes necessary, Shearer said, to protect citizens and officers.

“Our job is to keep the citizens of Salt Lake City safe,” he said. “We’re going to do everything we can to do that. Sometimes that puts our officers in dangerous situations, but we need to respond appropriately to keep ourself and the community safe.”

Pikyavit was convicted of multiple drug offenses, including exposing children to drugs, in 2014, according to Utah court records.

Tribune reporter Tiffany Caldwell contributed to this story.