The National Rifle Association, representing only an extreme minority, has stolen the right of gun regulation from Utah citizens. A 90% majority, including gun owners, and 74% of NRA members, favor a universal background check, which, of course, NRA leaders and Republican legislators reject.
The NRA-dominated GOP violates authentic democracy by refusing to honor the will of the majority.
The NRA has been the most powerful lobby in the nation and operates like the mafia.
- It is greed-driven and makes up its own rules.
- It funds and controls GOP politicians who fear its power.
- It demands total loyalty or promises significant retribution.
- It threatens and bullies opponents.
- It creates a life-threatening environment.
The NRA places gun rights ahead of human life, and the result is 40,000 killed last year. Its record includes three decades of a gun violence epidemic.
Despite many decent members, the NRA by any measure is a despicable organization because of its leaders. It is a curse to the nation and along with GOP legislators is complicit in a scandalous death toll.
Gun violence will continue until Utans wake up and reject those who make Utah and the nation a dangerous place to live.
Ron Molen, Salt Lake City