New records detail events leading up to police shooting of man outside Salt Lake’s Indoor Swapmeet

The 39-year-old was suspected in an earlier shooting Sunday when a West Valley City officer opened fire at him.

(Andy Larsen | The Salt Lake Tribune) Police vehicles are shown parked near the scene of a police shooting in West Valley City on Sunday, Aug. 7, 2022.

The 39-year-old man who was shot by police Sunday in West Valley City outside Salt Lake’s Indoor Swapmeet was released from the hospital Wednesday and booked into jail, officials announced.

Police said before the man was shot by an officer, the 39-year-old shot a 41-year-old man, who suffered a graze wound to the head that was not considered life-threatening.

The 39-year-old was booked Wednesday on suspicion of aggravated robbery and aggravated assault. The Salt Lake Tribune generally does not identify suspects unless they have been charged with a crime.

On Sunday afternoon, the two men were sitting with a third man as they ate lunch in the parking lot of a Carl’s Jr. near 3500 South and Redwood Road in West Valley City, according to a probable cause statement.

The 39-year-old then mentioned to the other two men that he had a speaker he wanted to sell. When he found out one of the other men had money, the 39-year-old pulled out a gun, put it to the man’s head and pulled the trigger, the document states, causing injury to the man’s scalp.

The wounded man then got up and tried to enter the restaurant, dropping cash on the ground. According to the document, the suspected shooter picked up the money, got on his bike, and rode east toward Salt Lake’s Indoor Swapmeet, where officers found him.

Three officers from the Taylorsville Police Department arrived at the scene, along with West Valley City police.

A West Valley City officer “confronted the suspect,” police said, then shot the man, who was taken to a hospital in serious condition.

According to the probable cause statement, the 39-year-old has a history of assaulting police officers and resisting arrest.

The police shooting remains under investigation, which is being led by officers from the Salt Lake City Police Department. It marked the 11th police shooting in Utah so far this year, according to a database maintained by The Salt Lake Tribune.