This year’s Valentine’s Day represents an additional challenge for those hoping to secure a table in Utah.
Valentine’s Day falls on a Tuesday this year, but just a few days later — Friday through Sunday, Feb. 17-19 — the the highly anticipated NBA All-Star Game weekend will happen in and around Salt Lake City. If only 10% or 20% of the expected 115,000 visitors turn up ahead of time, that’s going to be a lot more competition for tables.
With that in mind, here’s a roundup of extra-special Valentine’s options that have landed on our desk so far. As with all the big dining days, check back to gastronomicslc.com. I will keep updating right until the big day itself, as more restaurants unveil their plans.
Please note that practically every restaurant in multiple dimensions of space and time will be open on Feb. 14 – so call your favorite right now if you fancy dining there. Those listed below are those we found offering something above and beyond their normal day-to-day menu. (Note: unless otherwise stated all of the below are for Feb. 14 itself.)
Further reading – Gastronomic SLC’s lists of romantic dining in Salt Lake City and fine dining in Utah. For more inspiration also check out years gone past as well – 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2017, 2016.
Aqua Terra Steak + Sushi
50 S. Main St., Salt Lake City (in City Creek Center); (385) 261-2244; aquaterrasteak.com.
On Feb. 11, 13 and 14, Aqua Terra has a curated Valentine’s Day experience, a five-course menu for $265 (intended for two).
• Amuse-bouche: Shrimp and lime basmati arancini, with spicy tomato jam.
• Course 1: Miso edamame.
• Course 2: Yuzu kosho-marinated lamb lollipops with rosemary demi and petite micro tangle with yuzu wasabi vinaigrette.
• Course 3: Sushi sampler: Ultimate Tuna Roll, Skinny Salmon Roll, Sashimi Rose Bouquet with Scallop.
• Course 4: Tomahawk for two: 30oz, bone-in tomahawk ribeye.
• Course 5: Dessert trio: panna cotta, chocolate tart, sweet treat.
• Drinks: Cupid’s Arrow (Grey Goose citron, triple sec, lemon, strawberry) for $13; Jaume Cristalino Cava Rose by the glass for $12.
376 8th Ave, Salt Lake City; (385) 227-8628; avenuesproper.com.
Four-course prix fixe menu, $60 per person. (Items also available a la carte.)
• First course, choice of: French onion soup, beef broth, gruyere, French baguette; or spinach pomegranate salad, balsamic dressing, feta, candied almonds.
• Second course, choice of: Seared scallops, cauliflower purée, parmesan, microgreens; or ricotta dumplings, cauliflower purée, pecorino romano, microgreens.
• Third course, choice of: Braised short ribs, creamy parmesan polenta, root vegetables, demi glace; or butternut squash lasagna, béchamel, butternut purée, sage, raclette.
• Dessert course, choice of: Hibiscus blood orange cake, polenta, ground almonds, hibiscus glaze; or chocolate lava cake, Valrhona cocoa. molten chocolate.
202 S. Main, Salt Lake City; (801) 363-5454; bambara-slc.com.
Three-course menu, priced at $75 per person, wire optional $50 wine pairing.
• Appetizer, choice of: Roasted carrot salad, cocoa nib, puffed wild rice, caramelized yogurt, pepita vinaigrette; or smoked celery root soup, champagne pickled apples, truffle, crispy leaks, herb oil.
• Entree, choice of: Pan-seared scallops, white chocolate, parsnip, quinoa, pecan gremolata; Double R Ranch strip loin, beef cheek mole, truffle corn tortillas, crispy oyster mushrooms, burgundy jus; or aged cheddar risotto, maple, delicate squash, apple, charred herb chimichurri.
• Dessert course, choice of: Meyer lemon cheesecake, blood orange, walnut, champagne sabayon; or smoked chocolate panna cotta, hazelnut, coconut, cherry.
1026 2nd Ave., Salt Lake City; (801) 322-3055; cucinawinebar.com.
Chef tasting menu available February 10 through 14, $95 per person for seven-course menu, with optional wine pairing $55 extra.
Menu: Smoked elk carpaccio, sesame ahi tataki, lobster gnocchi, hydroponic frisee, lion’s mane mushroom under a brick, bison New York, dark chocolate tarte for two.
1513 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City; (801) 532-3372; fincaslc.com.
Finca is offering a Valentine’s Day three-course tasting menu on Feb. 14. Priced at $75 per person, plus tax and 20% gratuity, along with optional wine pairing for an additional $30.
6 N Rio Grande St., Salt Lake City; (801) 683-7070; flankerslc.com.
A chef’s tasting menu in the private Parlor cocktail lounge. Chef Joshua Jerardo will prepare a five-course menu priced $95 per person.
• Trio of oysters: Cucumber, peppercorn tarragon, sage and Asian pear.
• Crispy pork belly, with orange apricot pure & hibiscus reduction.
• Gem hearts & endive, bruleed figs & balsamic reduction.
• Miso glazed cod, with soy-glazed mushrooms and bok choy.
• 8 oz. rib eye Oscar, with béarnaise, asparagus, crab.
20 S. 400 West, Salt Lake City (in The Gateway); (801) 355-3704; flemingssteakhouse.com.
Three-course meal, starts at $85 per person.
• Salad, choice of: Fleming’s salad (walnuts, tomatoes, dried cranberries, red onion, lemon balsamic vinaigrette) or Caesar salad (romaine, parmesan, fried capers, crispy prosciutto).
• Entree, choice of: Petite filet mignon and crab-stuffed shrimp scampi (three shrimp stuffed with savory crab filling, sautéed roasted campari tomatoes & white wine herb butter); petite filet mignon and lobster tail scampi (sautéed roasted campari tomatoes & white wine herb butter); or prime surf and turf for two (35 oz. prime tomahawk, north Atlantic lobster tail, four crab-stuffed shrimp, sautéed roasted campari tomatoes & white wine herb butter).
• Dessert, choice of: Chocolate gooey butter cake with honeycomb brittle, chocolate sauce and caramel; or New York cheesecake, classic preparation, strawberry red wine sauce and fresh mint.
6263 Holladay Blvd., Holladay; (801) 274-6264; francksfood.com.
Five-course prix fixe dinner menu, priced at $135 per person. The regular menu is not available.
• Sweet potato, caramelized milk vinaigrette, dried caper, fresh cheese, hazelnut, pickled olive oil.
• Pecan wood smoked beet & white chocolate emulsion, sea salt yogurt, pecan XO, BBQ beets.
• Red miso black cod, grilled & glazed maitake mushroom, creamed jasmine rice, Baja red shrimp-tiradito, kimchi pineapple, pineapple black garlic.
• Duo of Piedmontese beef, 10- hour cheek and flash-seared coulotte, textures of brassicas, truffle honey-french mustard, mint, truffle tallow.
• Layered lemon cake, limoncello buttercream, vanilla bean caramel corn, champagne vanilla bean gelato, fennel yuzu jam.
Hearth and Hill
1153 Center Dr., Park City; (435) 200-8840; hearth-hill.com.
Special a la carte options include: Cauliflower soup, cauliflower chips, $10 (starter); short rib, egg yolk gnocchi, butter parmesan emulsion, chives, radish, lemon zest, $23; pan seared halibut, crispy fingerling potatoes, beet, turnip, beet beurre blanc , $39 (entree); and double chocolate cupcake or chocolate dipped strawberry, $10 (dessert).
155 W. 200 South, Salt Lake City; (801) 532-2068; lakeeffectslc.com.
Three-course prix fixe Valentines Day menu, priced $75 per person. Reservations have a time limit of 2 hours for parties of six and under. The late-night menu will be available, starting at 9 p.m.
10395 S. State, Sandy; (801) 448-6449; libertango.us.
A prix fixe menu for $169 per person. Quoting the restaurant’s menu: “Come enjoy an incredible experience surrounded by the romantic intensity of Libertango’s wood fire parrilla, and tango-themed décor. Begin your meal with Empanada Criolla, our savory stuffed pastry. Then enjoy fettuccine in a creamy white sauce topped with jumbo fire-grilled shrimp. Then truly experience the ‘difference between tasting and savoring’ as you sink your teeth into our incredible American Wagyu New York Strip with a side of Arroz con Tomate Seco. Finish your evening with our special Valentine dessert.”
Mar | Muntanya
170 S. West Temple (in the Hyatt Regency), Salt Lake City; mar-muntanya.com.
No word yet on a special Valentine’s Day menu, but the restaurant is offering a specialty cocktail for the occasion, called “By any other name” (inspired from the line in “Romeo & Juliet,” which says “a rose by any other name would smell as sweet”). The cocktail includes gin, almond milk, lemon juice, honey, rose water and muddled strawberry, served over a cube of ice, and garnished with a rose petal.
368 E. 100 South, Salt Lake City; (801) 359-0426; oquirrhslc.com/dinner.
Four-course prix fixe, $120 per person with optional wine pairing.
• Amuse of Kushi oysters, champagne & local apple mignonette; option is a caviar service, 1 ounce of American farmed white sturgeon caviar, $150.
• House sourdough bread and European butter.
• Baby gem caesar salad, classic dressing, parmesan crouton, sous vide egg yolk.
• Lobster & black truffle risotto, local maitake mushrooms, leeks, fennel pollen.
• Braised beef, whipped local Yukon potatoes, caramelized pearl onions, baby carrots, bone, marrow bordelaise.
• Palate cleanser: Pow pow sorbet, winter citrus.
• Dessert: Solstice chocolate budino, beet mousse, salted vanilla ice cream.
878 S. 900 East, Salt Lake City; (801) 532-0777; pagoslc.com.
Five-course tasting menu for $120, plus $45 for wine pairings, plus tax and 20% gratuity.
• Amuse-bouche: Kumamoto oyster with blood orange granite, bleeding heart radish mignonette.
• Starters, choice of: Salad Lyonnaise with ‘perfect’ egg, crispy prosciutto, frisee; lightly cured salmon with Asian pear, preserved lemon, Fresno agua fresca; Beetroot ravioli with goat cheese mousse, golden beet puree, chicory salad; or cioppino with Patagonian red shrimp, snow crab cake, smoked Cipollini onions.
• Intermezzo: Rose petals with hibiscus, toasted oats, ricotta.
• Mains, choice of: Pork ‘Diane’ with roasted mushrooms, charred broccolini, Dijon crema; Flat iron steak with fried cauliflower, celery root puree, poblano sofrito, Taleggio cheese; pan-seared scallops with rock shrimp risotto, Meyer lemon, dill; or spaghetti alla puttanesca with Castelvetrano olives, anchovy bagna cauda, fried capers.
• Dessert, family style for the table: Apple cake with cherry compote, lemon glaze; dark chocolate-caramel brownie; and vanilla gelato with strawberry, pink peppercorn gastrique.
Pago On Main
341 S. Main, Salt Lake City; (801) 441-2955; pagoslc.com.
Three-course tasting menu for $85, plus $38 for wine pairings, plus tax and 20% gratuity.
• Starters, choice of: Steak tartare with black garlic aioli, brioche toast, oven dried tomatoes; roasted shrimp cocktail with citrus, arugula, cocktail sauce, fresh horseradish; Manchego salad with baby arugula, shaved Manchego, Fuji apples, medjool dates, candied walnuts, balsamic reduction, pistachio vinaigrette; roasted Brussels sprouts with shaved parsnip, coconut, spiced almonds, horseradish vin; or sweet corn croquettes with cream, cayenne, vanilla, tomato jam.
• Entrees, choice of: Seared duck breast with Israeli couscous, cherries, zucchini, blackberry gastrique; Statler chicken breast with gratin dauphinois, baby carrots, sauce supreme; striped bass with sticky rice, sauteed spinach, sweet pepper relish; roasted beef tenderloin with roasted garlic pommes puree, haricot verts, sauce Robert; braised short rib with creamy Tuscan kale, roasted onion, jus; or spinach ravioli with ricotta, pesto cream sauce.
• Desserts, choice of: Strawberry frangipane tart with ginger caramel, powdered sugar; beignets souffles with crème anglaise, chocolate sauce, powdered sugar; or tiramisu with lady finger, espresso, mascarpone, coco powder, sabayon.
174 W. 300 South, Salt Lake City, (801)-539-0500; or 905 W. West Promontory, Farmington, (385) 300-7300; or 575 E. University Parkway, Orem, (801) 426-0900; pfchangs.com.
Prix fixe “Celebration Menu” for two, price TBD.
• Appetizer, choice of: Chang’s lettuce wraps (chicken or vegetarian); dynamite shrimp, tempura-battered and tossed with a sriracha aioli; or handmade dumplings (pork or shrimp), pan-fried or steamed, light chili sauce drizzle.
• Soup, choice of: Wonton soup, house-made pork wontons, shrimp, chicken; egg drop soup, julienned carrots, green onion; or hot & sour soup, silken tofu, chicken, bamboo shoots, egg.
• Main entree, choice of: Fire-braised short ribs, savory glaze, pineapple fried rice; Oolong Chilean sea bass, ginger-soy sauce, wok’d spinach; miso-glazed salmon, mushrooms, spinach, cabbage, garlic-ginger aromatics; Mongolian beef, sweet soy glaze, garlic, green onion; or salt & pepper prawns, aromatics, chili peppers, tossed in a spicy chili butter.
• Dessert, choice of: New York-style cheesecake, graham cracker crust, fresh berries; or The Great Wall of Chocolate, six-layer chocolate cake, chocolate frosting, semi-sweet chocolate chips.
• Wine, choice of: Moët & Chandon Impérial Brut champagne (France); Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand); or Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars Artemis Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley, Californina).
151 E. 6100 South, Murray; (801) 281-4852; prohibitionutah.com.
Four-course prix fixe menu, priced at $125 per person. Menu will feature Wagyu eye of round, and seared tuna.
3364 S. 2300 East, Millcreek; (801) 410-4046; slcprovisions.com.
Seven-course tasting menu from February 10th through 14th. Priced $70 per person, optional wine pairing available. A la carte menu is also available.
1017 S. Main, Salt Lake City; (801) 355-7952; slceatery.com.
Three-course course prix fixe, priced $85 per person. Served with complimentary bread service.
• First course, choice of: Cauliflower fattoush salad with crisp pita, dates, cucumber, whipped feta, charred scallion-lemon dressing; Dungeness crab with crispy quinoa, pine nut, green apple-wasabi root leche de tigre; mushroom parmesan ravioli with miso squash consommé, shiso; or grilled hearts of palm with grapefruit, harissa, hazelnut, avocado.
• Second course, choice of: Platinum provisions Wagyu beef with truffle ponzu, hay-roasted potato, tempura mushroom; poached black cod with buttermilk bacon dashi, sprouting broccoli, trout roe, dill, lima bean; smoked celery root with broccoli rabe, winter caponata, vegetable jus; organic chicken with creamed spinach, jasmine rice, aleppo pepper honey glaze; or crispy duck bo ssam for two with duck confit fried rice, scallion pancake, butter lettuce, citrus-honey sweet and sour (supplemental charge, $15 per person).
• Third course, choice of: Date cake tiramisu with pistachio, mascarpone, caramelized pineapple; apple cheesecake with puff pastry, almond oat crumb, salted caramel; coconut citrus crème brûleé with coconut streusel, mint; smoked chocolate mousse with toasted meringue, graham cracker biscotti.
• Supplemental cart items (avalable for an additional cost) — Raw bar: Kaluga hybrid caviar with chive waffle and traditional accompaniments; chilled oyster on the half shell with cucumber mignonette and lemon; poached gulf prawn cocktail with togarashi cocktail sauce; and albacore tataki with tobiko, pineapple ponsu and guajillo.
454 E. 300 South, Salt Lake City; (801) 746-4441; stanzaslc.com.
Five-course menu, priced $110 per person.
• First course, choice of: Spinach salad, feta, red onion, spiced pecans, warm bacon vinaigrette; or stuffed oyster Rockefeller, garlic & herb brioche stuffing, shrimp & red crab, duroc bacon, corn maque choix, saffron buerre blanc; or venison carpaccio, pickled heirloom carrot & radish, brandy soaked cranberry, black garlic & rosemary aioli, Szechuan pepper, frisée, potato gaufrette.
• Second course, choice of: Red snapper, lobster pansotti, pesto with fire roasted artichoke & Fresno pepper, wasabi lemongrass crème, chia poppyseed tuile, candied orange; or rack of lamb, French pastry with warm brie & wild mushroom, parsnip & truffle purée, rapini & roasted Cipollini onion, cherry demi-glace.
• Third course: Raspberry & Grand Marnier sorbet.
• Fourth course, choice of: Seared scallops, Cajun espresso pork belly, horseradish red potato mash, vodka cream with roasted fennel & parsley, vanilla blood orange gastrique, edamame & pea shoot; or Snake River Farms Kobe beef ribeye, butternut squash & goat cheese ravioli, grilled broccoli crown, champagne fried mushroom, hollandaise.
• Fifth course, choice of: Wildberry & Solstice Chocolate trifle, rum cake, lime custard, mascarpone cream, pecan praline; or strawberry panda cotta, almond lavender cake, white chocolate & honeycomb, vanilla marscapone cream, crème anglaise.
457 E. 3350 South, Salt Lake City; (385) 528-3712; tablexrestaurant.com.
Valentine’s Day seven-course menu on February 10, 11, 14 or 15, priced at $130 per person. A vegetarian menu will also be available. Five-course wine or non-alcohol pairings also available.
2832 E. 6200 South, Salt Lake City; (801) 277-9919; tuscanyslc.com.
Four-course menu, priced $110 per person.
• First course, choice of: Pear cambozola onion tart, caramelized onion, whipped cambozola cream spiced pears, sweet pastry crust, port wine reduction; or black tiger prawn and scallop ceviche, avocado, onion, celery, tomato, micro cilantro, crispy tostada.
• Second course, choice of: Heirloom tomato basil soup, fried mozzarella, balsamic reduction, sweet basil cream; or heritage blend mix greens, salad mandarin oranges, gorgonzola cheese, red onion, strawberries, creamy balsamic vinaigrette.
• Third course, choice of: 12 oz. dry aged HyPlains Farm NY strip, toasted garlic Yukon gold whipped potatoes, porcini compound butter, blistered shishito peppers; organic chicken Florentine, lightly breaded chicken breast, stuffed with spinach, artichokes, gorgonzola cheese, served over spaghetti marinara; or spice-crusted ahi tuna, black forbidden rice, long beans, raspberry sherry sauce.
• Fourth course, choice of: Warm flourless chocolate cake, bourbon pecan ice cream, salted caramel; or layered strawberry shortcake, vanilla sponge cake, sweet cream, macerated strawberries.
510 S 300 West, Salt Lake City; (385) 295-4200; urban-hill.com.
Three-course menu, priced $90 per person, $45 optional wine pairing.
• First course, choice of: Peekytoe crab cake, miso-squash purée, pickled apple slaw, dill; or beet carpaccio, yuzu koshō honey, castelfranco, malt vinegar aioli.
• Second course, choice of: Malaspina oysters, american caviar, strawberry sorbet, basil; or citrus salad, fromage blanc, almond, pickled raisins, fennel.
• Main course, choice of: Roasted duck breast, celery root purée, brussels sprouts, pecans, duck confit, pomegranate glaze; wood-fired grass-fed hanger steak, smoked chanterelles, roasted fingerling potatoes, poblano jus; or potato gnocchi, maitake mushrooms, sage brown butter, ricotta salata, lemon, capers.
• Dessert course, choice of: Double chocolate cup cake, chocolate dipped strawberry, or house sorbet
Editor’s note • The Salt Lake Tribune and Gastronomic SLC are partners in a content-sharing agreement.