With fall camps set to start in a couple of weeks, the 2021 football season seems to be just around the corner.
That means it’s college football watchlist season, as analysts are starting to release their preseason watchlists.
Here’s a compiled list of BYU, Utah and Utah State athletes that are being placed on the lists.
Lou Groza Award, which is presented annually to the top college football placekicker.
• Jake Oldroyd, BYU — Over the last two seasons, Oldroyd has made 29 of 37 field goal attempts. He was a perfect 13 of 13 last year. The Cougar kicker has also made 100 of his 103 extra-point attempts.
Biletnikoff Award, awarded to the sport’s most outstanding pass catcher (regardless of position).
• Gunner Romney, BYU — The Cougar wideout has made the Biletnikoff preseason watchlist for the second year in a row. The 6-foot-3 junior ranked No. 15 in the nation last year with an average of 19.7 yards per catch. Romney had four games with at least 100 receiving yards and finished the year with 767 yards through the air, despite missing three games with injury. With wideout Dax Milne now in the NFL, Romney figures to be BYU’s top target this season.
Bednarik Award, awarded to the best defensive player of the year.
• Devin Lloyd, Utah — Lloyd has 145 total career tackles, 8.5 sacks, one interception, three passes defended and one forced fumble.
• Justin Rice, Utah State — A recent transfer from Arkansas State, and a former Fresno State player, Rice recorded 76 total tackles, seven sacks, three quarterback hurries and one pass breakup in 2020.
Davey O’Brien Award, presented to the top quarterback in the nation.
• Charlie Brewer, Utah — The senior transferred in from Baylor, where he ranks in the top-five in career completions (No. 1, 828), completion percentage (No. 2, .635), passing yards (No. 2, 9,700), touchdown passes (No. 2, 65) and passing efficiency (No. 5, 138.1).
Doak Walker Award, which honors the top running back in the nation.
• Tyler Allgeier, BYU — Last season, Allgeier rushed for 1,130 yards and 13 touchdowns on 150 attempts. The sophomore is expected to be the Cougars’ starting running back.
Maxwell Award, which is judged by a panel of sportscasters, sportswriters, and National Collegiate Athletic Association head coaches and the membership of the Maxwell Football Club, is presented to the best all-around athlete.
• Charlie Brewer, QB, Utah
• Tyler Allgeier, RB, BYU
John Mackey Award, which is awarded to college football’s most outstanding tight end.
• Cole Fotheringham, Utah — The junior from San Clemente, Calif. has started in 28 games and played in all 33 games of the past three seasons, and has 398 receiving yards and three touchdowns on 37 catches in his career.
• Isaac Rex, BYU — In 2020, as a redshirt freshman, Rex scored 12 touchdowns and totaled 429 receiving yards on 37 catches.
Rimington Trophy, which is presented to college football’s most outstanding center.
• James Empey, BYU — This is the third time Empey has been selected to the Rimington watchlist, and also enters 2021 as the fourth-team preseason All-American center selection by both Phil Steele and Athlon Sports.
Butkus Award, which is given annually to the top linebackers at the high school, collegiate and professional levels of football.
• Devin Lloyd, Utah.
• Payton Wilgar, BYU — In 2020, Wilgar made 57 tackles, No. 3 on team, with 5 tackles for loss, while adding a team-best 5 QB hurries, 4 pass breakups and forced a fumble.
Bronko Nagurski Trophy, which is awarded to the best defensive player in college football.
• Devin Lloyd, Utah.
• Payton Wilgar, BYU.
Outland Trophy, which is awarded to the best college football interior lineman.
• James Empey, BYU.
Paul Hornung Award, which is awarded to the college football player that is deemed to be the most versatile.
• Tyler Allgeier, BYU.
• Britain Covey, Utah — The junior from Provo has done more than just his main role of wide receiver. Throughout his career at Utah, Covey has served as the Utes’ punt return and kick return guy. Covey has also dabbled in rushing, passing and even has a couple of tackles on the defensive end.
Wuerffel Trophy, which is awarded to who best combines exemplary community service with athletic and academic achievement
• James Empey, BYU.
• Mika Tafua, Utah — The two-time All-Pac-12 defensive end has accumulated a total of 84 tackles throughout his career, as well as 19 tackles for loss (78 yards).
• Calvin Tyler Jr., Utah State — The running back is a recent grad transfer from Oregon State. During his time at Oregon State, Tyler Jr. played in 14 games and rushed for 124 yards on 30 carries, to go along with two receptions for nine yards and nine kickoff returns for 182 yards.
Walter Camp Award (Fri., July 30)
This story will be updated.