Utah sports radio host Spence Checketts resigns from The Zone after DUI arrest

(Courtesy Salt Lake County | Spencer David Checketts)

Utah sports radio talk show host Spence Checketts has left 1280 The Zone after his fourth arrest for allegedly driving under the influence.

Checketts resigned from The Zone on Saturday, Checketts’ attorney and a spokesman for the radio station both confirmed.

Checketts, 39, was charged by citation this week in Midvale Justice Court with two misdemeanors and one speeding infraction, stemming from a Feb. 26 arrest. He faces a class B misdemeanor count of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, a class C misdemeanor count of having an open container in a vehicle, and an infraction of speeding.

The Utah Highway Patrol arrested Checketts and he was booked into the Salt Lake County jail Feb. 27, records show.

“He’s presumed innocent in the criminal justice system and it will take some time to ultimately gather all the evidence and facts to determine what the merits of the case are,” said Scott Williams, Checketts’ attorney. “He has resigned his job out of respect for the company and because he’s a public figure at that company and he wants to show the appropriate respect to his employer.”

This is the fourth DUI case for Checketts since 2004, a search of court records shows.

Checketts was charged in 2008 in Davis County and later pleaded guilty to a reduced count of attempted driving under the influence. He was charged twice with DUI in 2004, once each in Salt Lake and Summit counties.

“Whatever is in his past, Spencer had worked very hard and very successfully at recovering from that past,” Williams said. “And I expect that the issues that he faces now will receive that same commitment and diligence by him.”

Checketts declined to comment for this story.

Checketts was the co-host of “The Big Show,” the weekday afternoon drive-time program on 1280 The Zone. His co-host was Tribune sports columnist Gordon Monson.

Checketts was originally placed on an indefinite leave of absence from his broadcast duties at the The Zone effective Feb. 27, a spokesman said.