A Texas teen serving on a mission in Mexico has died, the LDS Church reported Sunday.
Andrew Carr, 19, of Fort Worth, died Saturday morning, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints spokesman Daniel Woodruff said. Woodruff said the missionary died of asphyxiation “from what appears to be a faulty water heater located near the shower in his apartment.” His roommate was unharmed.
“We extend our deepest sympathies to his parents and loved ones as they deal with this tragedy,” Woodruff said.
Carr had been serving in the Mexico City Northwest Mission since October.
Shawn Furniss, the president of the Forth Worth Texas North Stake, released the following statement on behalf of Carr’s family:
“We are deeply saddened by the loss of Elder Andrew Carr, but we take comfort in the eternal plan of a loving Heavenly Father. How grateful we are to know that in times of tragedy we can find peace and hope through the atonement and resurrection of Jesus Christ.”