What if the United States’ response to COVID-19 played out like this:
Acknowledgment: There is a pandemic affecting the world. We have examples to successfully counteract the virus. It will require us all to take some measures. The sooner we act, the sooner we will have more freedom and save lives. Many, many lives.
Yes, we will:
• Provide critical personal protective equipment to our hospitals and medical professionals that need them. We have their backs.
• Close the economy. We can afford to. Let’s do this right.
• Take care of you. We have the resources and we want to. Without healthy citizens there is no healthy economy.
• Follow science. Get the rates down in every state to where we are no longer transmitting the virus.
• Mandate masks. Science shows they protect the wearer and others.
• Fine anyone who isn’t adhering to the mandates.
• Open the economy when science says we can open it safely.
No, we won’t:
• Open the economy until science says it’s safe to.
• Put our healthcare system in jeopardy.
• Withhold support to manipulate economies and schools to open before science says we’re ready.
• Force our children, teachers, athletes and clergy into situations that make them vulnerable to the virus. It’s the right thing to do, and science shows there will be more outbreaks.
Let’s start by being truthful. It all starts with acknowledging problems and coming up with solutions. By failing to act, we are allowing the virus to take a strong hold on our nation, freedom, health and future.
Yes, we know it’s hard. But the virus is real. We need to make an organized strategy, a plan, and concerted effort so we heal as a nation.
We elect individuals to office to represent the people. It’s time they start doing their job.
Holly J. McAllister, Salt Lake City