Most Utahns would oppose a second term for President Donald Trump, new poll shows

President Trump speaks during a United Nations Security Council briefing in New York on Wednesday. Trump said that China is attempting to interfere in the 2018 midterm congressional elections and alleged Beijing seeks to help his opponents. MUST CREDIT: Bloomberg photo by Jeenah Moon

A majority of Utah voters want to see someone other than Donald Trump elected president in 2020, although Republicans are sticking with the incumbent, according to a new poll.

Overall, 57 percent of likely Utah voters favor giving someone else a chance to serve in the White House in 2020, while 38 percent said Trump should be elected to a second term, according to the Dan Jones & Associates poll commissioned by UtahPolicy. Just 5 percent were undecided.

Republicans, however, want to see a second Trump term by a 2-to-1 margin (63 percent to 31 percent). That big majority of GOP voters is diluted, however, by Democrats, who by a 99 percent-to-1 percent margin say someone else should be elected, and independents, who favor a new candidate 74 percent to 21 percent.

Men are split on re-electing Trump, but women favor a new candidate 67 percent to 28 percent.

The poll surveyed 809 likely Utah voters. The margin of error was 3.4 percent, plus or minus. While conducted conducted Aug. 22-31, the poll was not published by UtahPolicy until Wednesday.

Utah is a Republican state that has not voted for a Democrat for the White House since Lyndon Johnson in 1964. But Trump won in the state by less than a majority and has, for the most part, hovered around 50 percent approval, mainly based on Republican support.

The latest Tribune-Hinckley Institute of Politics poll, last June, showed Trump with a 52 percent approval rating, with 45 percent disapproving.

That is considerably better than Trump’s nationwide approval, which is averaging about 42 percent, with 53 percent disapproving, according to FiveThirtyEight.