Ogden man killed, police officer injured in shootout with police after man violated protective order

The man was shot “several times” by responding officers and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Editor’s note • This article discusses suicide. If you or people you know are at risk of self-harm, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline provides 24-hour support at 1-800-273-8255.

A 37-year-old man killed by police in a shooting south of Ogden-Weber Technical College was “acting as if he wanted to kill himself or be killed” just before police were dispatched, an official said Friday.

The shooting unfolded after Ogden police were called to the scene of a reported protective order violation, Ogden police Deputy Chief Jake Sube said during a news conference Tuesday evening. The violation was reported about 3:26 p.m. at the Washington Park Apartments complex, located at 170 N. Washington Blvd.

The protected person in the order had notified police that Brian Simonton, 37, was at her apartment, “acting as if he wanted to kill himself or wanted to be killed,” Ogden Police Chief Eric Young said at a Friday news conference. The caller also notified dispatchers that Simonton was known to carry a firearm.

Upon arrival, a patrol officer encountered Simonton carrying a handgun in the parking lot of the apartment complex, Young said. The officer repeatedly told Simonton to drop he weapon, but Simonton did not comply and eventually shot at the officer, Young said.

Additional officers responded to the scene, and police believe eight Ogden officers returned fire at Simonton, who continued to shoot at the officers, Young said.

At some point during the shooting, a round struck the initial responding officer that traveled through his arm and to his chest. The officer underwent surgery at an area hospital and is expected to make a full recovery, Young said.

Simonton was struck by “several rounds” of fire by Ogden police officers before he fell to the ground. He initially did not respond to commands from police to move away from the handgun, so a police K9 pulled Simonton out of reach of the weapon, Young said.

Simonton sustained “significant injuries” from the gunfire, and despite life-saving efforts, he was pronounced dead at the scene. No one else was injured, but there was property damage at the apartment complex, Young said.

“I commend the victim of the initial domestic violence call for keeping herself in a safe place and calling the police to handle the situation,” Young said. “We believe this could have been far worse than it was.”

Simonton had an existing warrant for his arrest for misdemeanor domestic violence assault and another warrant out regarding “several weapons charges,” at the time of the shooting, Young said.

The Weber County Attorney’s Critical Incident Task Force is investigating the shooting. The Weber County District Attorney will determine when body-worn camera footage from the shooting will be released, Young said.