Clearfield man jailed after allegedly killing his grandparents

The victims were bludgeoned with a hammer and shot.

(Fox13) Clearfield police investigate a home after an elderly couple were found dead in the garage Wednesday.

A Clearfield man who allegedly bludgeoned his grandparents with a hammer and then shot them to death surrendered to police and is being held without bail.

At about 3 p.m. on Wednesday, a woman who lives near 700 North and 1000 West called police to report that her 87-year-old father and 85-year-old mother, Thomas and Janice Walker, had been killed, and that she suspected her 26-year-old son — who was still inside the house — had killed them.

When officers arrived at the home, they found the Walkers’ bodies in the garage. Police spoke to the suspect on the phone, telling him to come outside. He replied that he was putting his gun away and complied, according to a probable cause statemtn. He was taken into custody without incident.

According to police, the suspect said he had “concerns” that “other family members” — including the two victims — had “attempted to harm him.” After first telling police he arrived home and found his grandparents’ bodies, the suspect later admitted he killed them.

The suspect said he confronted his grandparents, and they grabbed their belongings and went to the garage to get in their vehicle. However, according to a probable cause statement, the suspect said he had cut the motor wire to the garage door opener so his grandparents could not leave.

The suspect told police he kicked both of his grandparents in the chest, knocking them to the ground. He then grabbed a hammer and, after striking the hood of their vehicle with it, demanded they answer to him about his accusations. The suspect then hit each of the victims twice in the back of the head with the hammer.

According to the probable cause statement, the suspect said the victims were still alive when he went into the house and got a .22 caliber rifle. He returned to the garage and shot one of his grandparents in the head. Realizing the gun was empty, the suspect went into the house, got another bullet, reloaded and returned to the garage, shooting his other grandparent in the head.

The suspect also admitted he kicked a third family member in the face, police said.

When officers searched the house, they found two controlled substances — psilocybin mushrooms and marijuana — as well as drug paraphernalia in the suspect’s bedroom.

The 26-year-old was booked into the Davis County jail for investigation of multiple crimes, including two counts of aggravated murder, assault and drug and firearms charges.

The Salt Lake Tribune generally does not name suspects unless they have been charged with a crime.