New Utah wildfire spreads from Summit County building blaze, prompts evacuations

A shelter was set up for evacuated residents.

(Utah Wildfire Info) The Wanship Fire, which spread from a building blaze in Summit County on Sunday, July 17, 2022, had burned about 40 acres as of Sunday evening and prompted area evacuations.

A structure fire that spread into a Summit County wildfire Sunday afternoon quickly scorched about 40 acres, threatening other nearby structures and prompting evacuations.

The fire in Wanship that began as a building blaze was discovered at about 4 p.m. Sunday and was “growing rapidly,” according to Utah Wildfire Info. As of about 6 p.m., six to 10 other structures were threatened and multiple resources were en route to assist.

Just before 7 p.m., Summit County officials reported that several structures were defended and the blaze was 40% contained.

Still, the blaze, dubbed the Wanship Fire, prompted mandatory evacuations in the immediate area of 30042 Old Lincoln Highway.

Officials set up a shelter for evacuated residents at the Wanship meetinghouse of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, located at 30899 Old Lincoln Highway.

The cause of the initial building fire was undetermined as of Sunday evening, fire officials reported. A severe thunderstorm warning was in effect in the area at the time.

In Salt Lake County, another wildfire sparked Sunday afternoon, burning about 15 acres in the area of Interstate 80 and 7200 West, according to the Salt Lake City Fire Department.

“The logistics of high winds and firefighting activities have created unique hazards,” the fire department reported.

Members of the public were advised to avoid the area Sunday evening. Officials suspect the fire was human-caused.

More Utah wildfire updates:

Precision Fire: The fire along Interstate 15 south of Santaquin was discovered just before 5:30 p.m. on Saturday and grew from 36 to 76 acres overnight. But Utah wildfire officials said the blaze had been 80% contained by about 2 p.m. on Sunday and reported that crews were “confident” the fire would be contained by the evening.

The wildfire prompted the brief shutdown of one northbound I-15 lane between Juab and Utah counties on Saturday. Officials suspect the fire was human-caused, though it remains under investigation.

(Utah Wildfire Info) The Precision Fire, which has burned 76 acres south of Santaquin as of Sunday afternoon, was expected to be fully contained by Sunday evening.

Jacob City Fire: The fire about a mile east of Stockton started July 9 and had burned about 4,185 acres as of Sunday, when it was considered 82% contained.

Helicopters on Sunday began flying wildfire crews that had been camped out on the fire line out of the area, as part of a demobilization process. The blaze first ignited after a generator caught fire, authorities have said. Stockton police on Tuesday arrested a man accused of negligence in connection with the blaze.

Halfway Hill Fire: The fire south of Fillmore first detected July 8 had burned about 11,733 acres as of Sunday, when it was considered 33% contained.

The blaze forced evacuations near Fillmore earlier this month. Four people were arrested and accused of starting the wildfire. According to a probable cause statement, the four started a fire at a campsite — which investigators determined was where the wildfire began — then “left abruptly.”

When the campers were contacted by investigators, they said they had attempted to extinguish the fire before they left the area. They told police that after seeing the fire erupt and spread rapidly, “they were concerned that their fire may have been the cause.” But they did not contact any fire or police personnel to report it, police said.

More than 500 personnel have responded to the wildfire. As of Sunday, containment was expected by July 24.