Utah lawyer charged with defrauding clients arrested again, accused of violating release terms

FBI agents arrested Calvin Curtis while he was shopping, his lawyer said.

(Francisco Kjolseth | The Salt Lake Tribune) Estate attorney Calvin Curtis, who pleaded guilty to federal charges of wire fraud and money laundering, was arrested again Thursday after he allegedly violated the terms of his court-ordered release agreement.

A Salt Lake City estate attorney who previously pleaded guilty to federal fraud charges was arrested again Thursday after he allegedly violated the terms of his court-ordered release agreement.

U.S. District Judge David Barlow in December had allowed Calvin Curtis, 61, to be released from custody ahead of his March sentencing hearing on the condition that he immediately resign as a trustee, wrap up his law practice within 30 days and tell all of his current clients that he is a convicted felon.

He also was limited to the use of one credit card with a limit of $2,000 or less, and he was not allowed to open any new lines of credit.

Curtis was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on Thursday after he allegedly failed to provide a list of his current clients, failed to close several of his credit card accounts, and made a money transfer for a third party, according to Curtis’ defense attorney, Greg Skordas.

“They’re not new crimes,” Skordas said of the alleged violations. “I don’t want to downplay them — they are serious.”

As an estate attorney, Curtis handled financial accounts for multiple clients, many of whom were considered vulnerable. In all, federal prosecutors accused Curtis of embezzling at least $9.5 million from clients since 2008, fraudulently diverting funds from at least 22 different trusts.

He pleaded guilty in November to charges of wire fraud and money laundering.

Curtis will remain in jail until at least Tuesday, when a hearing is scheduled on the alleged violations. Federal prosecutors on Friday declined to comment about the case.

“We hope that we can address these on Tuesday and that the judge will allow him to be released again with the condition that he follow through with everything he’s supposed to do,” Skordas said.

FBI agents along with U.S. Marshals arrested Curtis while he was shopping at a Walmart, Skordas said. His car remains in the parking lot.

“I think everyone’s trying to get his attention,” Skordas said. “I’m certain that this has accomplished that.”

A federal prison sentence of just over six years was recommended in Curtis’ plea agreement. His sentencing hearing is slated for March 15.