Winter weather is about to hit northern Utah, but spring will return this weekend

(Courtesy of the National Weather Service) Northern Utah can expect snow on Thursday and Friday.

It’s spring in Utah, which means snow on Thursday and Friday and temperatures near 60 on Sunday.

A winter-like storm will hit Utah on Thursday afternoon, according to the National Weather Service, with snow after 3 p.m. in the Salt Lake City area. There’s an 80% chance of snow during the day, rising to 90% overnight, with possible accumulations of 3 to 7 inches in the valleys and more in the mountains — where there could be “occasional” winter driving conditions.

Snow showers will continue on Friday, with a 70% chance of more white stuff and possible accumulations of another inch along the Interstate 15 corridor through central Utah. And parts of northern and central Utah could be hit by wind gusts up to 45 mph. The forecast high both days is 42, with overnight lows of 27 on Thursday and 31 on Friday.

The sun will return for the weekend, with a high of about 49 on Saturday and 59 on Sunday. And, according to the NWS, it’ll be in the low 60s on Monday — just before another storm moves in. There’s a chance of rain on Monday afternoon and evening, and that could change to snow overnight.

Tuesday’s forecast calls for a high near 39, more than 20 degrees colder than Monday’s high.

The NWS is forecasting rain in southern Utah. There’s a 20% chance of precipitation in St. George on Thursday afternoon, rising to 50% Thursday night and continuing Friday morning, when the chance falls to 30%. After highs of about 60 on Thursday and Friday, the sun returns to southern Utah as well. St. George can expect a high of about 68 on Saturday, 75 on Sunday, and 80 on Monday — before a big drop to 62 on Tuesday.

(Courtesy of the National Weather Service) April is expected to be warmer and drier than usual in Utah.

The National Weather Service is also predicting above-average temperatures and below-average precipitation for Utah in April. However, it warns that “spring weather is variable” in the state, so “some cooler than average days are still likely.”