Police identify officer killed in shootout as a ‘son of Ogden’ who loved his job

(Leah Hogsten | The Salt Lake Tribune) Ogden City Police Department leds the procession for fallen Ogden City Police Officer Nate Lyday, whose body was transported from the Medical ExaminerÕs office in West Valley City to a mortuary in Ogden on Friday. Officer Lyday died in a shooting after responding to a domestic violence call May 28, 2020 in Ogden. A suspect was killed and an officer with Adult Probation and Parole was injured at the scene.

Ogden • He was a “son of Ogden.”

Ogden police officer Nate Lyday was born at the hospital here. He grew up and went to school here, worked at a grocery store here and got his criminal justice degree at Weber State University.

The 24-year-old was proud to be a police officer here, and was a second-generation law enforcement officer.

Lyday died here Thursday afternoon, after police say he went to the home of a woman who called 911 in fear for her life and was met by bullets fired through the front door.

“Officer Lyday sacrificed his life,” said Chief Randy Watt, “on behalf of a frightened and fearful family at the scene.”

Lyday had been on Ogden’s police force for 15 months before his death.

Lt. Brian Eynon on Friday remembered passing Lyday in the hallways, the young officer always smiling at him before he had a chance to smile first.

“He was very prideful to be a police officer. This is a great city,” Eynon said. “He loved the citizens of this city. And he loved coming to work.”

The Ogden police station was lined with American flags Friday, and Lyday’s police car was parked in front, covered by flowers.

(Jessica Miller | The Salt Lake Tribune) Ogden Police Officer Nate Lyday's patrol car became a memorial outside of the police station on Friday, May 29, 2020. Lyday was shot and killed on Thursday while responding to a domestic violence report.

During a Friday news conference, his wife of nearly five years leaned against the back of the car and wept as Watt spoke to television cameras and reporters about her husband, who is the 10th Ogden police officer to die in the line of duty.

“We will mourn for a short period,” Watt said. “But, more importantly, we will celebrate that he lived. And we will thank the God we worship that he was one of us.”

Ogden police officials escorted Lyday’s body from Salt Lake City back to Ogden on Friday afternoon as bystanders lined the streets waving American flags in support. First responders were there, too, holding crisp salutes at the passing procession.

Police have identified the suspected shooter as 53-year-old John Benedict Coleman. He also died during the confrontation, but police have not said how he was killed. They said Coleman had a criminal history in other states and that police had been called to the home before for alleged domestic violence.

The fatal confrontation happened after a woman had dialed 911 shortly after noon Thursday, telling dispatchers her husband was threatening to kill her. When officers arrived at the house near Bonneville Park, Coleman was on the porch, but he wouldn’t cooperate. He shut himself inside and, police say, began shooting.

Lyday and a second officer with Adult Probation and Parole were hit by bullets.

Lyday was dragged away by fellow officers as they returned fire, Watt said. He was taken to McKay-Dee Hospital, where a doctor pronounced him dead.

(Jessica Miller | The Salt Lake Tribune) The Ogden police station was decorated with flags and notes of gratitude on Friday, May 29, 2020, a day after Officer Nate Lyday was shot and killed while responding to a domestic violence report.

The second officer was treated and released from the hospital.

Numerous officers rushed to the area, and the Ogden Metro SWAT team helped some children get out of the home. They found Coleman dead.

Lyday is the 146th Utah peace officer to die while on duty since 1853, according to the state’s fallen officer memorial.

The last was Joseph Shinners, a Provo police officer. He was shot Jan. 5, 2019, in Orem as he and police from that city were trying to arrest a fugitive. Shinners later died at Utah Valley Hospital.

Seven years to the day before Shinners death, Ogden Officer Jared Francom was shot to death while serving a search warrant with a drug task force.

A GoFundMe page has been set up to collect money for Lyday’s family.

“Although funeral expenses are already covered, we are hoping to provide some financial relief for his family during this difficult time,” according to the page.

Donations can also be made to the America First Credit Union’s “Nathan Lyday Memorial Account," account number 9115916.