Utah woman finds metal blade in carrot sticks

(Photo courtesy of Amber Choruby Whiteley) A Salt Lake City woman found a piece of a metal blade lodged in a pre-cut carrot stick she was eating on Jan. 20, 2020. Harmons grocery said a mechanical failure was to blame and issued a recall for some of the carrot sticks sold at its City Creek location.

A Salt Lake City grocer is recalling its carrot sticks after a woman bit down on a piece of a metal blade that was lodged in her snack.

Amber Choruby Whiteley was eating precut carrot sticks from Harmons in City Creek on Monday with her 7-year-old daughter when she bit down on the metal shard, according to a warning she posted on social media.

“I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if, heavens forbid, a child ate a piece of metal and ended up in the hospital with serious internal injuries,” Whiteley wrote.

Harmons issued a recall for any precut carrot sticks with a sell-by date of Jan. 19, bought at the chain’s City Creek location.

“Due to a mechanical failure, this item may contain metal fragments,” the recall notice stated. “Please do not consume the product. We are happy to provide a refund or exchange at any location."

Return to Story