Provo Officer Joseph Shinners, who was killed a week ago in a shootout with a fugitive, was laid to rest Saturday, following a funeral service in Orem.

The funeral began at 11 a.m. at the UCCU Center on the Utah Valley University campus.

Provo Police Chief Richard Ferguson honored the life of Joseph, saying during the confrontation that took his life, Joseph “selflessly sacrificed his life to protect the life of his fellow officers.” Ferguson described Joseph as exemplifying everything noble about policing, saying he was honest and compassionate. Ferguson promised that Joseph would not be forgotten and “justice will be pursued for his death.”

Gov. Gary Herbert praised Joseph’s work, thanking him on behalf of all Utahns.

“As a community, we thank Officer Shinners for his service,” Herbert said. “As a tribune to Officer Shinners, let us follow his example. Let’s be good citizens.”

Michael Shinners, Joseph’s brother, spoke of Joseph’s compassion and willingness to help others.

“If you called Joe, he had a smile on his face and his hands out to help,” Michael said.

Michael, who is also a police officer, also spoke of the sacrifice his brother made, saying “Joe fought as a warrior on the outside but with the caring heart on the inside. He paid the ultimate sacrifice.”

Joseph’s wife, Kaylyn Shinners, talked of her personal life with Joseph. She told the story of after their son was born, Joseph followed the nurse around with open arms, asking to hold his son.

“Joe was the man who was scared to have a baby to snuggling him to sleep every night,” Kaylyn said. “That’s what he did before he went to work on Saturday.”

After the funeral, Joseph body was taken in a procession to the Evergreen Cemetery in Springville, 1950 S. 400 East. The motorcade took Interstate 15 south from Orem, making a detour onto West Center Street in Provo, turning on to University Boulevard and got back on the Interstate 15 at 1860 South. The procession entered Springville at 400 South, reaching the cemetery via U.S. 89.

Joseph, 29, was a three-year veteran of the Provo Police Department. He is survived by his wife, Kaylyn, and their 1-year-old son.