A man reportedly holding a knife to the throat of his mother was shot and killed by police in Riverton on Monday morning.
Two officers responded to a report of domestic violence at 11779 S. Stone Ridge Court at about 6:40 a.m., according to Salt Lake County Sheriff Rosie Rivera, when Jason Robert Whittle, 26, threatened his mother with a knife.
At 6:50 a.m., “They took some action. Shots were fired. And we do know that the male is deceased,” Rivera said.
Whittle’s 56-year-old mother was unharmed; no police officers were injured. The shooting took place outside the home where Whittle’s mother lives.
As per protocol, an outside agency — in this case, the Salt Lake City Police Department — is investigating the shooting. Any witnesses are asked to contact Salt Lake police.
Monday’s shooting was the sixth police shooting in 13 days. “It has been a tough couple of weeks,” Rivera said.
• On Oct. 10, a Tooele officer fired several times at a domestic violence suspect who reportedly aimed a pistol at him. No one was injured.
• On Oct. 11, Diamonte Riviore, 22, was shot and killed by a West Jordan officer responding to a domestic violence call. Riviore reportedly threatened officers with a knife.
• On Monday, Oct. 15, Jacob E. Albrethsen, 17, was shot and killed by two Orem officers responding to a “family problem.” He reportedly threatened officers with a knife.
• On Wednesday, Oct. 17, James Lyle Kuehn, 61, was shot by a Unified Police officer after he reportedly robbed a restaurant at knifepoint and, later, threatened officers with a knife. He died Monday.
• On Friday, Oct. 19, Andrey Tkachenko, 23, was shot by two members of the Metro Gang Unit — one officer from Unified Police and another from Saratoga Springs — who were trying to apprehend him on outstanding warrants. Tkachenko died en route to the hospital.