facebook-pixel

Utah home badly damaged in fire sparked by used fireworks

Provo • Authorities say a Utah home has been badly damaged by a fire sparked by used fireworks in a trash can.

The Daily Herald reports the blaze started early Wednesday morning in Pleasant Grove, after the homeowners and others set off fireworks in the neighborhood on the popular holiday Pioneer Day.

Fire Chief Dave Thomas says they threw them in the trash, where investigators believe the embers sparked a fire on a nearby wall that spread to the attic and torched much of the roof.

Thomas says it was a difficult fire to fight and left damage significant enough to make the house unlivable.

No one was injured, and the family is now living with relatives.

Return to Story