Salt Lake City • State officials say a toxic algae bloom has spread in Utah Lake near Provo making more areas unsafe for recreation.
The Utah Department of Environmental Quality said in a statement Monday that it’s now warning people at Lincoln Marina, Sandy Beach and Utah Lake State Park about the presence of high levels of toxin-producing cyanobacteria.
It was previously detected in Provo Bay.
Blue-green algae occur naturally in many freshwater systems and can proliferate rapidly under the right conditions of warm weather, plentiful sunshine and still, nutrient-rich water. They can be fed by runoff from farms, lawns and industrial facilities.
Large quantities can be dangerous to people, animals and fish.
Humans exposed to the bacteria can exhibit headaches, fever, pains and nausea.