facebook-pixel

Logan man to stand trial on rape, sodomy charges

Logan • A 31-year-old Logan man has been ordered to stand trial on rape and forcible sodomy charges stemming from an alleged sexual assault during a gathering of friends at a home last fall.

The Herald Journal reports a judge bound Paul Doucette over for trial after the victim testified Tuesday at a preliminary hearing in 1st District Court.

The woman explained how Doucette persuaded her to lie down next to him on a couch because he was distraught over a prior traumatic incident. But she said he later ended up raping her.

Doucette’s attorney, Shannon Demler, questioned the victim, asking her repeatedly if she had taken prescription medications or had been drinking.

The sobbing victim insisted she did nothing to encourage her attacker and told the attorney, “This is not my fault.”

A pretrial conference is set for July 23.

Help The Tribune report the stories others can’t—or won’t.

For over 150 years, The Salt Lake Tribune has been Utah’s independent news source. Our reporters work tirelessly to uncover the stories that matter most to Utahns, from unraveling the complexities of court rulings to allowing tax payers to see where and how their hard earned dollars are being spent. This critical work wouldn’t be possible without people like you—individuals who understand the importance of local, independent journalism.  As a nonprofit newsroom, every subscription and every donation fuels our mission, supporting the in-depth reporting that shines a light on the is sues shaping Utah today.

You can help power this work.