West Valley City police kill man who broke into a home

(Rick Egan | The Salt Lake Tribune) West Valley City Police Chief Colleen Jacobs, reads a statement about an officer involved shooting, in which the suspect was killed, in West Valley City, Sunday, April 8, 2018.

West Valley City • Police on Sunday shot and killed a man suspected of theft after he ran from officers and forced his way into a house with three children inside.

The officers responded about 3:15 p.m. to a report of a theft at a cellphone business near 3400 S. Redwood Road, West Valley City police Chief Colleen Jacobs said. During a search of the area, an officer spotted a man matching the suspect’s description near 1940 W. 3500 South and approached him, but he fled, she said.

The suspect entered a home, but after confronting the owners, he ran to a house at a cul-de-sac in the 3500 block of South Jenelles Bay (2140 West), which was occupied by three children, all pre-teen or younger.

“At some point, three officers entered the home, shots were fired and the suspect is deceased,” Jacobs said.

The children were not injured, the chief said. The suspect — described only as an adult male wearing a gray hoodie and black pants — had no connection with either home, she said.

Police have not said whether the suspect was armed, how many shots were fired or how many officers fired their weapon.

It’s been less than a month since the last officer-involved shooting within West Valley City limits, although the most recent case involved a Granite School District police officer.

On March 20, a Granite police officer patrolling Hunter Ridge Park approached a car full of teens after smelling marijuana. As the officer neared the car, it “lurched” forward and the officer was thrown onto the hood, according to previous Tribune reports. The officer then shot the teen driver, who suffered critical injuries. The officer, who has not been named, sustained minor injuries. The Salt Lake City Police Department is investigating the incident.

On Nov. 7, off-duty West Valley City police Officer Aaron Weeks exchanged gunfire with two juveniles allegedly trying to rob him as he investigated a report of a homeless person at his part-time security guard job at the Village at Rivers Edge apartment complex. During the exchange, Weeks was shot in the foot and both boys were hit by gunfire. Salt Lake County prosecutors opted not to file charges against Weeks after a review of the use of force.

— Salt Lake Tribune weekend editor Larrisa Beth Turner contributed to this report.