About sltrib.com Comments
We invite you to help create a productive, insightful and relevant debate and to engage one another respectfully in the online community. (See our full terms of service below.)
The basic rules:
- Keep it clean. Comments that are obscene or sexually-explicit will be removed. Foul language will be removed.
- Don’t threaten to hurt or kill anyone, even in jest.
- Be honest. Don’t lie about anyone or anything.
- Be civil. No personal attacks against other participants, no name-calling and no slurs. No hate speech or bigotry.
- Keep it relevant. While we realize discussions often have a life of their own, trolling will not be tolerated.
- Keep it legal. Do not libel anyone. Do not post content (including images, video, etc) or news articles from other sites. This may violate copyright law and slows down the site. Links to such content that are relevant to your comment and the story are welcome.
Behavior that may lead to a user being banned from commenting
- Violating the basic rules. Users with an established pattern of acceptable conduct are given more leeway than newly created accounts, but even long-standing commenters may be banned if their conduct goes too far.
- Trolling behavior -- making statements with the apparent intent to incite an argument rather than discuss the topic -- is not tolerated.
- Using “creative spelling” or special characters to circumvent the system’s banned-words filters.
- Using comments as a way to drive traffic to a blog or other website. Legitimate linking to other sources of information relevant to the story is encouraged; ending your comments with a link to your personal site is considered spamming.
- Commenting under multiple aliases or accounts. Users believed to be posting under multiple accounts will be banned.
Terms of Service
You agree that you are fully responsible for the content that you post. You will not knowingly post content that violates the copyright, trademark, patent or other intellectual property right of any third party and that you will remove the same should you discover that you have violated this provision. Likewise, you may not post content that is libelous or obscene, that violates a third party’s right to privacy, that otherwise violates any applicable local, state, national or international law, or that is otherwise inappropriate. You will indemnify The Salt Lake Tribune, its employees, agents, and affiliates from any and all claims and/or damages (including but not limited to reasonable attorneys’ fees) resulting from any claim brought by any third party relating to content you have posted.
Epithets, slurs and other language intended to discriminate, intimidate or to incite violence will not be tolerated.
Only one registration per person is allowed and your email address must be verified and valid. Subsequent registrations will be result in all related accounts being permanently banned.
You understand and agree that sltrib.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties. You further understand that, on the discussion forums and comments, sltrib.com does not pre-moderate user content prior to it being posted. Nevertheless, sltrib.com may monitor any user-generated content it chooses and reserves the right to remove content that it deems inappropriate for any reason without notice or consent. We further reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to remove a user’s privilege to post content on our site for any reason without notice or consent.
You understand and agree that the discussion forums and comments are to be used only for non-commercial purposes. You may not solicit funds, promote commercial entities or otherwise engage in commercial activity in our discussion forums or comments. You acknowledge and agree that you use and/or rely on any information obtained through the discussion forums and comments at your own risk. The Salt Lake Tribune is not in any manner endorsing or validating the content of the discussion forums or comments.
For any content that you post, you hereby grant to The Salt Lake Tribune the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, exclusive and fully sub-licensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part, world-wide and to incorporate it in other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.
The Salt Lake Tribune will not sell or give away your email address or registration information. Your email address may be used to contact you regarding your registration or in regards to comments you have posted on our message boards or comments.