Disney has announced the full cast of “High School Musical: The Musical,” a new TV series that’s just begun production in Utah.
And one of the cast members — Sofia Wylie — also stars in another made-in-Utah Disney series, “Andi Mack.”
The 10-episode series is being filmed in part at East High School in Salt Lake City. It picks up 15 years after the original movie aired, following a group of students as they work toward the premiere of their high school musical — a live version of “High School Musical.”
Thus, the title of the show.
According to Disney, “Show-mances blossom; friendships are tested while new ones are made; rivalries flare; and lives are changed forever as these young people discover the transformative power that only a high school drama club can provide.” The series will feature both new songs and “reinterpretations” of songs from the original movie.
“High School Musical: The Musical” will be on Disney+, a new subscription streaming service. Disney has not announced when the service will launch — only sometime in 2019 — and no pricing information has been released.
The stars of “HSM: TM,” and Disney's descriptions of their characters, are:
• Joshua Bassett (“Stuck In the Middle”) plays Ricky, a sarcastic yet charismatic skate rat who tries to prove himself to his ex-girlfriend Nini by auditioning to star opposite her “High School Musical: The Musical.”
• Olivia Rodrigo ("Bizaardvark”) plays Nini, who just returned from summer theater camp after finding her voice, her confidence and her new boyfriend.
• Sofia Wylie, who stars as Buffy on “Andi Mack,” plays Gina, “a recent transfer student and a diehard theater kid with as many skeletons in the closet as she has credits on her résumé.”
• Matt Cornett (“Bella and the Bulldogs”) plays E.J., the supremely confident son of two corporate lawyers, who secretly battles the pressure of living up to his picture-perfect Instagram account.
• Dara Reneé (Disney Channel’s Original Movie "Freaky Friday”) plays Kourtney, Nini’s ride-or-die best friend who’s obsessed with makeup tutorials and feminism in equal measure.
• Julia Lester (“Mom,” “Prince of Peoria”) plays E.J.'s cousin, Ashlyn, an old soul who worships Sara Bareilles and is an aspiring songwriter.
• Frankie A. Rodriguez ("Modern Family”) plays Carlos, the captain of the color guard and the student choreographer for the show.
• Larry Saperstein (“Fan Girl”) plays Big Red, who is the spiritual cousin of both Bill and Ted — always fuzzy.
• Kate Reinders (“Work It”) stars as Miss Jenn, the new high-energy, low-reality drama teacher.
• Mark St. Cyr (“Marshall”) plays Mr. Mazzara, East High’s somewhat robotic science, technology, engineering and math teacher.