Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Roy police chief resigns amid unspecified allegations
Probe » Anonymous complaints led Greg Whinham to step aside.
First Published Jul 17 2013 12:26 pm • Last Updated Jul 17 2013 06:57 pm

The chief of Roy’s police department announced his resignation Wednesday, two weeks after reports of a probe into unspecified allegations against him surfaced.

Chief Greg Whinham’s resignation was effective immediately, and Deputy Chief Mike Elliott will serve as acting chief while the city seeks a permanent replacement, according to Roy City Manager Chris Davis. Davis declined to say whether Whinham’s resignation had anything to do with the recent anonymous allegations against him.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The city put Whinham on paid administrative leave while it had the Layton City Attorney’s Office investigate allegations about the chief that the city began receiving through anonymous emails. Davis also declined to say what that investigation turned up.

Whinham declined to comment on the specifics of his resignation when reached by phone Wednesday, but noted that the allegations against him were anonymous and likely came from someone with his or her own agenda.

In a copy of the resignation letter obtained by the Standard-Examiner newspaper, Whinham wrote that he had "no regrets" in resigning but referenced the anonymous complaints as the reason for his resignation.

"I have made enemies along the way but always tried to be just and fair in my dealings with internal and external issues," the letter states. "I have made mistakes, and they have become the focus of concern. I am proud that these mistakes have been procedural and not criminal or moral in nature."

In a July 3 interview with The Tribune, Roy Mayor Joe Ritchie declined to disclose details about the allegations, except to say they were "non-criminal."

"If it hadn’t been a public official … we wouldn’t have given it much credibility," Ritchie said earlier this month. "I don’t like anonymous complaints."

Layton Deputy City Attorney Steve Garside confirmed Wednesday that the investigation was complete but directed comments about the results of the probe to Roy.


story continues below
story continues below
Twitter: @KimballBennion

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.