The Salt Lake County Health Department shut down a Hawaiian barbecue restaurant in South Jordan earlier this week after finding “numerous live and dead cockroaches.”

Lanikai Grill, 1072 W. South Jordan Parkway, also had “harborrage conditions” that encouraged the pest infestation, according to a notice on the department website.

In all, the restaurant was cited for 17 health code violations — four of which were deemed critical to human health.

The restaurant will remain closed until the owners can fix the problems and inspectors deem it safe for the public.

In addition to the cockroaches, inspectors also found a food container being used to store poisonous or toxic materials (soap); and unclean appliances and shelves.