facebook-pixel

Rain arrives Tuesday and may stick around through the end of the week

Flash flooding is possible in southern Utah, and there could be snow above 9,000 feet.

(Trent Nelson | The Salt Lake Tribune) Rain is expected in Utah this week, but most areas won't get dumped on the way these Utah fans were back in early September.

After a warm and dry Monday, there is a chance of rain every day through the end of the week as a pair of storms move through Utah.

A weak storm will move north from southern California to Utah on Tuesday, according to the National Weather Service, bringing with it the threat of brief bursts of heavy rain that could cause flash flooding in southern Utah on Tuesday.

(National Weather Service) Heavy rain is possible in southern Utah on Tuesday.

Flash flooding is “probable” on Tuesday at Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Glen Canyon, Grand Staircase-Escalante, Natural Bridges, Grand Gulch, San Rafael Swell and Zion. And it’s “possible” Tuesday at Arches.

That storm will move rapidly through central and northern Utah on Wednesday, bringing widespread, moderate rain showers. And there could be light snow in the higher elevations of the Uintas on Wednesday night and Thursday morning — snow levels could fall to 9,000 feet.

In the Salt Lake City area, the forecast calls for temperatures in the mid-70s on Tuesday and the mid-60s on Wednesday and Thursday. There’s a 30%-60% chance of rain Tuesday, and a 50% chance on both Wednesday and Thursday when a second storm out of the Northwest is expected, bringing colder temperatures.

A high of 58 is expected on Friday, falling to 53 on Saturday. And there is a chance of rain both days.

Rain is expected at the beginning and the end of the week in southern Utah. In St. George, there is an 80% chance Tuesday, and a 20%-50% chance Tuesday night. After mostly sunny skies on Wednesday and Thursday, there is a chance of showers Friday and Friday night. Sunny skies return on Saturday.

Temperatures near 90 are expected Monday in St. George, falling to the upper 70s/low 80s Tuesday through Thursday. The forecast calls for highs in the low 70s on Friday and Saturday.

After a bit of lingering smoke on Monday, the Utah Department of Environmental Quality forecasts green/good conditions across the state on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Return to Story