Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Smoke rises in Gaza City after an Israeli airstrike Saturday, Aug. 9, 2014. (AP Photo/Dusan Vranic)
Gaza talks on hold; Israeli delegation stays home
Mideast conflict » Israel says it won’t attend unless Hamas stops firing its rockets.
First Published Aug 09 2014 03:44 pm • Last Updated Aug 09 2014 07:04 pm

Jerusalem • Egyptian-brokered talks between Israel and Hamas on a new border deal for Gaza were thrown into doubt Saturday after senior officials said an Israeli team would not rejoin negotiations in Cairo unless rocket fire from Gaza stops.

A day after the end of a temporary truce, cross-border attacks continued Saturday, though at a lower intensity than on most days in the past month of fighting.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Gaza militants fired 28 rockets at Israel, the army said, while Israel struck about 50 targets in Gaza that it said were linked to militants, including mosques and homes.

The indirect talks in Cairo — which began earlier in the week with Egyptians shuttling between the Israeli and Palestinian delegations — were meant to produce a sustainable cease-fire and new border arrangements for Gaza.

Israel and Egypt have severely restricted trade and movement in and out of Gaza since the Islamic militant Hamas seized the territory by force seven years ago.

However, the gaps are wide, making it unlikely the two sides can reach a comprehensive deal envisioned by the international community, including an opening of Gaza’s borders and arrangements for the war-battered territory’s reconstruction.

Israel has said it will not open Gaza’s borders unless militant groups, including Hamas, disarm. Hamas has said handing over its weapons arsenal, which is believed to include several thousand remaining rockets, is inconceivable.

Instead, one proposal circulated by the Egyptian mediators offered a minor easing of some of the restrictions, according to Palestinian negotiators who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not allowed to discuss internal deliberations with the media. It was not clear if this was an Egyptian or an Israeli proposal.

The Palestinian negotiators said they rejected the ideas, insisting on a complete end to the blockade.

The Palestinian team includes Hamas officials and representatives of Western-backed Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, from whom Hamas had taken Gaza in 2007. The delegation agrees on the broader demands, despite some disagreements over tactics, such as whether to extend a three-day truce earlier this week, participants said.


story continues below
story continues below

The temporary truce had launched the talks, amid expectations that it would be extended to allow for continued negotiations.

However, Hamas refused to extend unless Israel agreed in principle to a lifting of the blockade. Azzam al-Ahmad, who is close to Abbas and heads the Palestinian delegation, had urged Hamas to accept the extension.

After the truce expired Friday morning, Gaza militants — from factions other than Hamas — resumed rocket fire.

The Israeli delegation left Cairo on Friday morning, while the Palestinian team remained in the Egyptian capital.

Palestinian negotiators had expected their Israeli counterparts to return Saturday evening, after the end of the Jewish Sabbath.

However, senior Israeli officials said this was unlikely because of the rocket attacks from Gaza on Saturday.

"We are not sending the delegation and we are not negotiating as long as there is fire," Cabinet minister Yuval Steinitz, a member of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud Party, told Israel TV’s Channel 10.

"We have said that and that is also the Egyptian position and since Hamas does not honor the cease-fire it cannot expect negotiations," he said.

Steinitz and another minister, Yaakov Peri from the centrist Yesh Atid, said Israel will not accept continued rocket fire.

"If we are dragged into a war of attrition, meaning rocket fire, sometimes more sometimes less ... along with lack of progress in the political track in Cairo, we will eventually need to consider" other options, Peri said, adding that this would include "massive entry into Gaza."

The foreign ministers of France, Britain and Germany meanwhile called on both sides to "immediately" resume the cease-fire, according to a joint statement published on the website of French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius.

Next Page >


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.