Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
A man stands between dead and wounded Palestinians outside a UN run school in Rafah, in the southern Gaza Strip, Sunday, Aug. 3, 2014. UNRWA's Director of Operations in the Gaza Strip said preliminary findings indicated the blast was a result of an Israeli airstrike near the school that been providing shelter for some 3,000 people. (AP Photo/Hatem Ali)
Israel withdraws most troops from Gaza

Eyewitnesses and U.N. officials say Israeli missile exploded outside gates of facility.

First Published Aug 03 2014 10:16 am • Last Updated Aug 03 2014 09:46 pm

Rafah, Gaza Strip • As Israel showed signs of scaling back its ground offensive in Gaza, its war from the skies continued Sunday, as an airstrike outside a U.N. school in southern Gaza killed at least 10 people. The bloodshed sparked some of the heaviest U.S. criticism of Israel since the war began.

Capt. Eytan Buchman, a spokesman for the Israel Defense Forces, said the targets of the attack in the border city of Rafah were three Palestinian militants riding past the school on a motorcycle. "We identified a successful hit on the target," Buchman said. "We definitely don’t target civilians or schools."

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

But according to eyewitnesses and U.N. officials, an Israeli missile struck just outside the gates of the school. About 3,000 Palestinians were seeking refuge at the facility, and a crowd of civilians had gathered outside - children buying ice cream from a sidewalk vendor, and men and women purchasing food or cigarettes, witnesses said.

The missile hit the motorcycle, said the witnesses, and then crashed into the road. Shrapnel flew in every direction, slicing into more than 40 people, and killing at least seven civilians, including a boy. Presumably, the three militants Israel had targeted died, too. A U.N. employee was among those killed, said Adnan Abu Hasna, a spokesman for the U.N. Relief and Works Agency, which is assisting more than 200,000 Palestinian evacuees at 90 schools in Gaza.

"There were bodies all over the ground, covered in blood," recalled Muhamed Yafei, 45, an air-conditioner repairman who had been staying inside the school. Among the dead, he said, was the ice-cream vendor.

The youngest victim, Saqer Al-Kashif, 8, had walked outside to buy ice cream. He was severely wounded in the blast and later died of his injuries. His body, covered in a white shroud, was brought back Sunday afternoon to the school, where his father kissed his head before taking him to the cemetery.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called Sunday’s attack a "moral outrage and a criminal act." State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki, in an unusually harsh statement, said that "the United States is appalled by today’s disgraceful shelling" and urged Israel to do more to "avoid civilian casualties" and to protect U.N. facilities.

"The suspicion that militants are operating nearby does not justify strikes that put at risk the lives of so many innocent civilians," she added. The State Department called for "a full and prompt investigation of this incident" as well as of the recent shelling of other U.N. schools, the spokeswoman’s statement said.

The language was tougher than previous U.S. government reactions to attacks on the U.N. schools in Gaza. Last week, the White House condemned the shelling of a U.N. school that had left at least 20 dead, but it did not initially blame Israel.

Sunday’s attack was the seventh on a U.N. school in the Gaza Strip in nearly a month of fighting.

story continues below
story continues below

Israel has not accepted responsibility for every assault, saying that some are under investigation or were caused by errant mortars or rockets fired by Hamas. U.N. officials have acknowledged discovering munitions in three of its schools since the conflict began.

Ashraf al-Kidra, a spokesman for the Gaza Health Ministry, said that at least 90 people were killed by Israeli strikes Saturday night and Sunday, mostly in Rafah, including nine members of a family. The Palestinian death toll in the conflict has risen to at least 1,806. Sixty-seven Israelis have been killed since the fighting began July 8, the vast majority of them soldiers.

Sunday’s bloodshed came as Israel said it had withdrawn most of its ground forces from Gaza but would continue its military operation in the coastal strip.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had warned Hamas on Sunday night that it would pay "an intolerable price" for its assaults on Israel. He also indicated, however, that Israeli forces would reassess their mission after destroying Hamas’ tunnel networks.

In Netanyahu’s message, there were hints that Israel hopes to wrap up its Gaza campaign on its own terms, without brokering a truce with Hamas, much like Israel did in its last major ground incursion into Gaza 5 1/2 years ago.

Buchman, the Israel Defense Forces spokesman, said Sunday that Israel believed it was no more than 24 hours away from destroying the last known Hamas tunnel, but he would not confirm whether Israel intended to pull all its forces out of Gaza once that had happened.

Israel said early Monday that it would observe a cease-fire for seven hours beginning at 10 a.m. in most areas of Gaza to facilitate the flow of humanitarian goods. But Israel said the pause would not apply in Rafah.

The partial pullback from Gaza reflected a shift of tactics for Israel, but analysts said it did not necessarily signal an approaching end to the conflict. Rather, they said, it was a recognition that ground troops had accomplished their mission, and other goals can be more easily achieved from afar.

"The ground forces finished the job. They destroyed the tunnels. So there’s no point in keeping them there," said Yosef Kuperwasser, former director general of Israel’s Ministry of Strategic Affairs. "But it’s not that we’re easing the pressure on Hamas. The pressure on Hamas is still there."

Israel has shown no indication it will pause its campaign of fire from the air and the sea, as evidenced by Sunday’s attack near the U.N. school. Hamas, too, has given little indication it will yield, firing at least 55 rockets toward Israel on Sunday.

Meantime, by boycotting truce talks in Cairo on Sunday, Israel has demonstrated that it has no interest in pursuing a diplomatic solution following a string of broken cease-fires that Israeli officials blame on Hamas.

Next Page >

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.