Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Idaho boy recovering from grenade injury at Utah hospital
First Published Aug 01 2014 08:42 am • Last Updated Aug 01 2014 08:42 am

Idaho Falls • Authorities in eastern Idaho say the object found by two 14-year-old boys in Rigby that exploded and severed one boy’s hand was a type of flash-bang grenade not available to civilians and discontinued years ago.

The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office tells the Post Register (http://www.postregister.com/node/60016) in a story on Friday that it’s trying to determine where the device came from.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Authorities say the boys found the device Wednesday behind a granary on property belonging to the family of one of the boys.

Both boys were taken to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center in Idaho Falls.

One was treated and released and the other transferred to Primary Children’s Hospital in Salt Lake City.

Authorities say suspicious objects should be left alone and reported to police.


Information from: Post Register, http://www.postregister.com

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.