Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
This photo provided by the Indianapolis Fire Department shows Ace, a pit bull, resting outside the home of Lindsay and James Bernard of Indianapolis after the home caught fire on Wednesday, July 16, 2014. Firefighters credited the dog with saving the life of the couple's deaf son, Nick Lamb, 13, by licking the boy's face until he woke up. No one else was home at the time. Neither the boy nor the dog was injured. (AP Photo/Indianapolis Fire Department, Rita Reith)
Dog hailed as hero for alerting deaf boy to fire
First Published Jul 17 2014 09:36 am • Last Updated Jul 17 2014 10:12 am

Indianapolis • A pit bull named Ace is being hailed as a hero for licking the face of a sleeping, deaf 13-year-old Indianapolis boy to alert him that the house was on fire.

Indianapolis Fire Department Capt. Rita Reith says Nick Lamb was home alone and sleeping without his hearing aids when the fire began Wednesday.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

"My dog licked my face and woke me up," Lamb said. "I was like, ‘Stop it! What? You want to be fed?’ I thought he wanted to be fed or go outside."

Ace didn’t stop licking Nick until the teen got up, too. That’s when he realized the house was full of smoke.

"I couldn’t hear anything because I had my cochlear implants off. ... My dog Ace smelled it," Lamb said. "I just wanted to get out."

Without his shoes but with Ace by his side, he covered his nose and mouth with his T-shirt darted out the back door, grabbing one of his implants along the way.

He then called his mother and 911.

Lindsay Bernard, Lamb’s mother, credited Ace with saving her son from injury.

"It’s amazing, because if he wouldn’t have been there, he probably wouldn’t have even woke up," Bernard said.

Lamb, who was born deaf, told firefighters that this was the first summer he was old enough to stay home alone and that he had returned from summer camp just three days earlier.


story continues below
story continues below

Firefighters found the family’s cat, "Pixie," inside the home. She was taken to a vet for smoke inhalation and was expected to recover.

Damage to the home was estimated at $175,000.



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.