Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Boulder clerk refuses to stop same-sex licenses
First Published Jul 01 2014 01:02 pm • Last Updated Jul 02 2014 10:40 am

Denver • Boulder County’s clerk says she’ll continue to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples despite the threat of legal action by Colorado Attorney General John Suthers.

Hillary Hall announced the move Tuesday after Suthers’ office agreed to give her more time to consider whether to ask the state Supreme Court whether she has the authority to issue the licenses.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Suthers’ office gave Hall until next week to think the offer over but insisted she stop issuing the licenses in the meantime, or face unspecified legal action.

Colorado’s constitution bans same-sex unions. But Hall began issuing licenses last week after a federal appeals court overturned Utah’s gay marriage ban. That ruling was put on hold pending a possible appeal so Suthers and legal experts say it doesn’t have any legal effect yet.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.