Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Longest average wait times for VA new patients
Veterans Affairs medical centers have come under criticism for long wait times for care. Here is a list of the facilities with the longest average waits as of May 15 for new patients seeking primary care, specialist care and mental health care, according to audit results released Monday.
NEW PATIENT PRIMARY CARE LONGEST AVERAGE WAIT TIME:
1. Honolulu, Hawaii: 145 days
2. VA Texas Valley Coastal Bend HCS, Harlingen, Texas: 85 days
3. Fayetteville, North Carolina: 83 days
4. Baltimore HCS, Maryland: 81 days
5. Portland, Oregon: 80 days
6. Columbia, South Carolina: 77 days
7. Central Alabama Veterans HCS, Montgomery, Alabama: 75 days
8. Providence, Rhode Island: 74 days
9. Salt Lake City, Utah: 73 days
10. Richmond, Virginia: 73 days
NEW PATIENT SPECIALIST CARE AVERAGE WAIT TIME:
1. VA Texas Valley Coastal Bend HCS, Harlingen, Texas: 145 days
2. El Paso, Texas: 90 days
3. White City, Oregon: 88 days