Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Jani and Bob Bergdahl speak to the media during a news conference at Gowen Field in Boise, Idaho, on Sunday, June 1, 2014. Their son, Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl is back in American hands, freed for five Guantanamo terrorism detainees. (AP Photo/Otto Kitsinger)
Questions arise over soldier’s release

Congressional Republicans say White House made a mistake in negotiating with terrorists and call for hearings on prisoner swap.

First Published Jun 01 2014 09:35 pm • Last Updated Jun 01 2014 09:35 pm

Washington • Joy over the release of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl yielded Sunday to questions about Obama administration decision-making in the deal for the American prisoner of war, which included the release of five high-ranking Afghan Taliban detainees.

Congressional Republicans and others focused on a series of concerns that are likely to reverberate in coming days: whether the deal breached U.S. policy forbidding negotiations with terrorists, whether sufficient safeguards are in place to ensure that the released Taliban prisoners do no further harm to the United States and whether Congress was informed about the prisoner trade, as required by law.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Separately, some inside the military raised questions about the cost associated with rescuing Bergdahl, who walked off his base and away from his unit five years ago after becoming disillusioned with the war effort.

Most of the immediate concern expressed by military experts, including a former national security adviser to President Barack Obama, centered on the five Taliban prisoners who were released Saturday from the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

"It’s very, very important for the government of Qatar to make sure that these people are kept under control and do not return to the battlefield," said Gen. James Jones, who served as Obama’s national security adviser until November 2010. He noted in an interview on CNN’s "State of the Union" that previously released Taliban prisoners had returned to the battlefield.

Susan Rice, the current national security adviser, said Sunday that the White House had received a "series of very specific assurances" from the government of Qatar about its role in keeping the released prisoners in the Persian Gulf state. The promises the emir of Qatar made directly to Obama "enable us to have confidence that these prisoners will be carefully watched, that their ability to move will be constrained. And we believe that this is in the national security interests of the United States," Rice said.

The released Afghan detainees, including former Taliban deputy defense minister Mohammad Fazl, will be subject to a year-long travel ban in Qatar, according to a memorandum of understanding signed by U.S. and Qatari officials.

The Obama administration declined to provide details of the memo, and congressional Republicans expressed concern about it Sunday.

"It is disturbing that these individuals would have the ability to reenter the fight," Sen. John McCain, Ariz., said in an interview on CBS’s "Face the Nation."

"These are the hardest of the hard-core," said McCain, who was held prisoner for more than five years in Vietnam after his plane was shot down during that war.


story continues below
story continues below

On Saturday evening, McCain said that he shared "the joy that the Bergdahl family feels." But he said that he is "eager to learn what precise steps are being taken to ensure that these vicious and violent Taliban extremists never return to the fight against the United States."

Separately, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers, R-Mich., said the White House made a mistake by deciding to "negotiate with terrorists" for the release of prisoners. He said the deal puts other Americans at risk from a group that routinely uses kidnappings and ransom demands to get results.

"This fundamental shift in U.S. policy signals to terrorists around the world a greater incentive to take U.S. hostages," Rogers said late Saturday. He has called for a full Intelligence Committee review of the matter. On Sunday, House Armed Services Committee Chairman Howard "Buck" McKeon, R-Calif., said his panel will hold hearings on the prisoner exchange.

The congressional queries provoked a strong response from Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel, who stopped in Afghanistan on Saturday while en route from Asia to meetings in Brussels.

"We didn’t negotiate with terrorists," Hagel said in an interview on NBC’s "Meet the Press."

Since the negotiations were handled mostly by Qatar, the United States did not negotiate directly with the Taliban. The administration’s announcement of Bergdahl’s release said only that negotiations began several weeks ago through the government of Qatar, and there was no indication of any direct contact between the United States and the Taliban.

Congressional Republicans have complained that the administration did not consult with Congress about the negotiations within 30 days of the prisoners’ release, as required by law.

"I think they violated the law," Rogers said. "There is a reason that Congress is involved by law, by statute, by constitutional authority in these decisions," he added, noting that plans to raid the compound of Osama bin Laden were shared with key members of Congress months before the event. "So some notion that this ⅛Bergdahl rescue⅜ was so secretive and so sensitive that it couldn’t happen is just wrong," Rogers said.

Hagel told reporters traveling with him that the veil of secrecy was necessary because of Bergdahl’s urgent health situation.

"It was our judgment that . . . we needed to get him out of there essentially to save his life," he said.

He confirmed that Afghan President Hamid Karzai was not informed of the operation in advance and that he was told about it afterward in a call from Secretary of State John F. Kerry.

Next Page >


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.