Phoenix • An unusually bloody weekend has led to renewed warnings against unnecessary travel to the Mexican city of Nogales along the Arizona border.
The U.S. Consulate General in Nogales on Tuesday reissued an emergency message cautioning Americans with travel plans to Nogales and surrounding areas. Citing "multiple and ongoing credible threats," the consulate asked citizens to put off any unnecessary travel.
The first warnings came on Sunday, a day before a U.S. citizen from Tucson was found murdered in his car.
Spokeswoman Pooja Jhunjhunwala said the U.S. State Department was aware of the death of an American in Mexico over the weekend and said officials are working with Mexican authorities on the case. Mexican media have identified the man as Jorge Luis Soto, 25, of Tucson. Police found Soto around 2:30 a.m. Monday at the wheel of a 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe with Arizona license plates, according to the Arizona Republic. Soto had been shot twice. Mexican media reported five homicides in Nogales during the Memorial Day weekend. Four of the five victims were found dead in their cars.
The Associated Press
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.