Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Student death is first linked to legal marijuana in Colorado
First Published Apr 04 2014 09:50 pm • Last Updated Apr 04 2014 10:23 pm

It appears that the first death linked to legal marijuana in Colorado happened last month at a Holiday Inn.

Levy Thamba died March 11 after falling from the balcony at the hotel. In a new report on his death, the Denver medical examiner’s office cites "marijuana intoxication" following the consumption of cookies that contained marijuana.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

"Marijuana intoxication is a significant contributing factor," the autopsy report states.

This is the first death related to marijuana intoxication in the Denver area this year, said Michelle Weiss-Samaras, spokeswoman for the Denver medical examiner’s office, and is believed to be the first in the state this year.

The cause of death was identified as "multiple injuries due to a fall," according to the report, a copy of which The Washington Post obtained from the medical examiner’s office.

Thamba, 19, also known as Levy Thamba Pong, was in Denver for spring break, Weiss-Samaras said. One of his friends was 21 and therefore was able to purchase the marijuana cookies legally. Thamba, who was from Congo, was a student at Northwest College in Powell, Wyo. The school said he started studying engineering in January.

After consuming the cookies, Thamba began exhibiting "hostile behavior . . . and spoke erratically," the report said. Thamba’s friends succeeded in calming him down briefly, but then he apparently got out of bed, went to the balcony "and jumped over the balcony railing," the report states. He was declared dead at the scene.

Thamba had 7.2 nanograms of THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, in his system at the time of his death, according to the report. In Colorado, which legalized marijuana in 2012 and began selling the drug for recreational use on Jan. 1, five nanograms of THC is the legal limit for drivers. There was no evidence of any other drug in his system at the time of his death, the report says.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.