Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
This undated photo provided by the vkontakte website shows Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been on the run, described as "armed and dangerous" and suspected of the Boston Marathon bombing. His brother, Tamerlan, was killed during a violent police chase. The two ethnic Chechen brothers came from Dagestan, a Russian republic bordering the province of Chechnya. (AP Photo/vk.com)
Boston Marathon bombing suspect wants trial by September
First Published Feb 10 2014 06:34 pm • Last Updated Feb 10 2014 07:48 pm

Boston • The trial of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is expected to last three months, plus another six weeks if he is convicted and jurors have to decide whether he should be put to death, prosecutors said Monday.

The trial estimate was included in a joint status report filed in court Monday by federal prosecutors and Tsarnaev’s lawyers ahead of a Wednesday hearing. In the report, defense lawyers say they want a trial date no earlier than September 2015. Prosecutors did not include a request for a trial date, but they said during a court hearing in November that they hoped to have the trial this fall.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Tsarnaev, 20, has pleaded not guilty in the attack in April that killed three people and wounded more than 260. Authorities say he and his older brother, Tamerlan, built and planted two pressure cooker bombs near the marathon finish line. Tamerlan Tsarnaev died after a shootout with police during an escape attempt four days after the bombing.

The report says Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s lawyers have not yet had an opportunity to review numerous pieces of physical evidence, including nearly 2,000 items still being analyzed by the FBI.

The defense proposed a schedule for filing certain requests, including: motions to suppress evidence, by July 28; motions challenging the death penalty, by Nov. 17; and a motion to change the location of the trial, by Jan. 19. Prosecutors asked for earlier deadlines for those motions.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder authorized prosecutors to seek the death penalty against Tsarnaev last month.




Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.