Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Syria's Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem leads his delegation during a plenary session in Montreux, Switzerland, Wednesday Jan. 22, 2014. U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says there is no way that Syrian President Bashar Assad can be part of a transitional government that's being discussed at an international conference aimed at ending the country's brutal conflict. (AP Photo/Gary Cameron, Pool) )
Violence across Syria as peace conference begins
First Published Jan 22 2014 07:46 am • Last Updated Jan 22 2014 07:46 am

Damascus, Syria • Syrian forces and opposition fighters clashed Wednesday in different parts of Syria as a peace conference to end its nearly three-year conflict began in Switzerland, activists and state media said.

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon opened the peace conference Wednesday in the Swiss city of Montreux, saying challenges ahead are "formidable." Syria’s Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem said in a speech at the opening session of the conference that "Syria will do all it can to defend itself by all means available."

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

In an apparent sign that government forces are gaining ground in Syria’s former commercial capital, the first civilian flight into the northern city of Aleppo in more than a year brought in a group of journalists, state TV said. The international airport had been closed since December 2012 due to fighting and repeated attacks by rebels.

Government troops have been on the offensive for days near the Aleppo International Airport and a nearby military air base. The airport’s director Bassem Mansour said it was opened after "sacrifices by the Syrian Arab army" who secured an area of 5 kilometers (3 miles) around the facility.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which has a network of activists around Syria, confirmed that a civilian plane had landed.

Also Wednesday, the Syrian Justice Ministry dismissed a report alleging Syrian authorities tortured prisoners as "politicized and lacking objectiveness and professionalism."

The ministry’s statement came after three prominent international war-crimes experts said they had received a huge cache of photographs documenting the killing of some 11,000 detainees by Syrian authorities.

David Crane, one of the three experts, told The Associated Press that the cache provides strong evidence for charging President Bashar Assad and others for crimes against humanity. "But what happens next will be a political and diplomatic decision," he added.

In the 55,000 digital images, smuggled out by an alleged defector from Syria’s military police, the victims’ bodies showed signs of torture, including ligature marks around the neck and marks of beatings, while others show extreme emaciation suggestive of starvation.

The report — which was commissioned by the Qatar government, one of the countries that are deeply involved in the Syrian conflict and a major backer of the opposition — could not be independently confirmed.


story continues below
story continues below

The Justice Ministry called the report a "gathering of images of unidentified people, some of whom have turned out to be foreigners of different nationalities who were killed while attacking military checkpoints and civilian establishments." It added that others were civilians and military personnel who were killed under torture by "terrorist groups allegedly for supporting the state."

The ministry said that the report has been revealed on the eve of the peace conference in a bid to "undermine the current efforts that aim to bring peace to Syria and end the international terrorism inside it."

More than 130,000 people have died in Syria’s conflict, and more than a quarter of the population of 23 million now live as refugees, either within Syria or in neighboring countries.

The Observatory reported clashes Wednesday between government forces and opposition fighters in the suburbs of Damascus, Daraa in the south, Idlib and Aleppo in the north and the central province of Homs.

State news agency SANA says government forces battled "terrorists" around the country — including in the northern province of Idlib where fighters from Chechnya, Egypt, Turkey, Bosnia and Iraq were killed. State media always refers to opposition fighters as "terrorists."

————

Mroue reported from Beirut.



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Login to the Electronic Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.