Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Downstream states eye Flaming Gorge water
First Published Jan 13 2014 06:21 pm • Last Updated Jan 13 2014 06:21 pm

Rock Springs, Wyo. » Prolonged drought on the Colorado River system has prompted Wyoming officials to begin planning for the possibility of drawing down water levels in Flaming Gorge Reservoir.

The Rock Springs Rocket-Miner reports that officials with the Wyoming State Engineer’s Office plan to meet with Sweetwater County commissioners on March 18. They will discuss what could happen if drought conditions continue and it becomes necessary to change reservoir operations.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Wyoming State Engineering Office Interstate Streams Engineer John Shields says the state wants the public to be aware changes that could be made to Flaming Gorge if the current drought continues.

The Flaming Gorge Reservoir is at about 75 percent capacity. However, things are drier farther downstream on the Colorado River system with major reservoirs only about half full.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.