Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Church and state refuse Rome funeral for Nazi
First Published Oct 14 2013 10:29 am • Last Updated Oct 14 2013 10:29 am

Rome • What to do with the body of a Nazi war criminal no one wants?

Rome’s mayor, police chief and the pope’s right-hand man have all refused to grant former SS captain Erich Priebke a church funeral in the city where he participated in one of the worst massacres in German-occupied Italy. Now there’s the added question of where to bury him, since neither Rome, nor his adopted homeland of Argentina, nor his hometown in Germany wants to take in his remains.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Priebke spent nearly 50 years as a fugitive before being extradited to Italy from Argentina in 1995 to stand trial for the 1944 massacre at the Ardeatine Caves outside Rome, in which 335 civilians were killed. He died Friday at age 100 in the Rome home of his lawyer, Paolo Giachini, where he had been serving his life term under house arrest.

Rome’s archdiocese made it official Monday, saying it had told Giachini to have the funeral at home "in strict privacy" and that Pope Francis’ vicar for Rome, Cardinal Agostino Vallini, had prohibited any Rome church from celebrating it.

But Giachini refused, pressing instead for a private church Mass. The archdiocese responded by reminding all Roman priests that they must abide by Vallini’s decision.

Separately, Rome’s police chief and the government prefect for the capital announced they would prohibit "any form of solemn or public celebration" for Priebke because of public security concerns. Rome Mayor Ignazio Marino said the city would accept neither a church funeral nor a burial for him.

It was a rebuke by both church and state that was greatly appreciated by Rome’s Jewish community, which has long resented having Priebke living in its midst, particularly after he was granted small freedoms from his house arrest like going to church.

"Any demonstration of honor — civil or religious — would be an intolerable affront to the memory of those who fell in the fight for freedom of Nazism and fascism," said the head of Italy’s Jewish communities, Renzo Gattegna.

The Simon Wiesenthal Center also hailed the solidarity shown by both civil and religious leaders to deny Priebke a funeral.

During his trial, Priebke admitted shooting two people at the Ardeatine Caves massacre and to rounding up victims in retaliation for an attack by resistance fighters that killed 33 members of a Nazi military police unit. He insisted he was only following orders.


story continues below
story continues below

In his final interview released upon his death, he denied the Nazis gassed Jews during the Holocaust and accused the West of inventing such crimes to cover up atrocities committed by the Allies during World War II.

Rabbi Riccardo Pacifici, chief rabbi of Rome’s Jewish community, suggested Priebke be cremated and his ashes dispersed in the air "like those of our grandparents," the ANSA news agency reported. "He would be cremated while dead, unlike the millions of children who went into the ovens and for whom Priebke never had pity."

In a telephone interview, the lawyer Giachini said he never intended to make a political or public event out of the funeral, but said that as a practicing Catholic, Priebke deserved a Catholic funeral and burial.

"It’s a question of a right to religious liberty," he said.

But not even Priebke’s adopted homeland of Argentina, where he lived in the mountain resort of Bariloche, would take him: Foreign Minister Hector Timerman said his remains wouldn’t be allowed in Argentine territory.

Giachini suggested Priebke might be buried in his native land, noting that he "really loved Germany."

In Berlin, Foreign Ministry spokesman Martin Schaefer said a German citizen could be buried in Germany but that no request had been made by any family members about Priebke.

Priebke was born in Hennigsdorf, a small town north of Berlin. The town administration pointed Monday to local rules that give only residents a right to burial in its cemetery, German news agency dpa reported. Exceptions are possible in cases where people have family graves there, but the Priebke family doesn’t have any.

———

Geir Moulson contributed from Berlin and Mike Warren from Buenos Aires.



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.