< Previous Page
Two of Ibrahim’s guards were seriously injured, according to Lt. Col. Emad Hamad, who spoke from the hospital to private TV station ONTV.
Hamad, who was part of the minister’s security detail, said the explosion hit the first car in the convoy, badly burning a policeman and an officer next to him. Two women and a child were also badly injured, and all lost a leg in the explosion.
The father of Fares Hegazy, the 7-year old victim, said the explosion came from a car double-parked on the main road the convoy was traversing.
Just before the attack, men on a motorcycle snatched a woman’s purse, setting off a commotion that sent security forces chasing the motorcycle, he told ONTV.
Appearing shaken, Ibrahim told state television his black SUV was directly hit.
"Even if I am martyred, another interior minister will come and continue the war on the evil terror until we secure the country," he told reporters at the Interior Ministry in central Cairo.
Ibrahim, who has aggressively led the crackdown on Islamists, said in a television interview last week that he had received death threats.
He was appointed to his post by Morsi and came under sharp criticism at the time even by some in the police as too beholden to the Islamist president. But since the coup, he has fully embraced the new military-led leadership.
Nearly 2,000 members of Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood and other Islamist groups have been detained over the past month, most accused of inciting violence or weapons possession. Most deny the charges.
Morsi, who has been held in an undisclosed location since his ouster, has been referred to trial for inciting the murder of his opponents while in office.
Some of Morsi’s more hard-line supporters have publicly threatened to wage a campaign of assassinations and car bombings against officials of the military-backed government until the former president is reinstated.
Security officials have said they have unraveled hit lists that included politicians, public figures and journalists.
On Thursday, a previously unknown militant group posted a video showing two of its operatives targeting a carrier ship in the strategic Suez Canal, claiming responsibility for an attack authorities said they foiled last week. It was the first such attack reported in decades.
The Furqan Brigades said in a statement that they have advised the Muslim Brotherhood that "democracy and elections" are not the way. Islam is only established "by fighting the infidels, renegades and their allies."
Copyright 2013 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.