Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
A school bus departs Sandy Hook Elementary School in Monroe, Conn., as the first day of classes begins Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2013, for students of Newtown, Conn. The students from the school are being bused to the neighboring town of where a former middle school was renovated for them after the Dec. 14, 2012 shootings. Adam Lanza killed 26 people at the school and committed suicide after fatally shooting his mother at their Newtown home. (AP Photo/Danbury News-Times, Carol Kaliff)
Sandy Hook students return to school for new year
First Published Aug 27 2013 11:56 am • Last Updated Sep 02 2013 02:42 pm

Monroe, Conn. • Therapy dogs and heightened security greeted Sandy Hook Elementary School students Tuesday as they began their first full year of school without the 20 children and six educators slain in the December massacre.

The students from Newtown are being bused to the neighboring town of Monroe, where a former middle school was renovated for them after the Dec. 14 shootings.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

"Things went well," said Brenda Lebinski, whose 9-year-old daughter is starting fourth grade at the school. "There was a lot of police presence when we pulled in. There were lots of teachers and therapy dogs greeting the kids when they walked in."

Lebinski said her daughter’s transition was eased because she was able to have the same teacher as last year.

"She was very happy to be back at school," Lebinski said. "Most of the kids were fine."

More than 400 students attend the elementary school for children from the village of Sandy Hook in Newtown, where officials had security posted at schools across the district. The district has announced a partnership with the John Jay College of Criminal Justice of The City University of New York to review school security measures and make recommendations.

A lone gunman, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, killed 26 people at the school and committed suicide after fatally shooting his mother at their Newtown home. The motive remains unclear.

Town voters will be asked in October to approve plans to demolish the school where the massacre occurred and build a new one on the same property.




Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Login to the Electronic Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.