Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Carbon monoxide presents dangers while boating
First Published Jul 05 2013 04:52 pm • Last Updated Jul 05 2013 04:52 pm

Carson City, Nev. » It’s colorless, odorless and deadly, and safety officials say carbon monoxide poisoning likely contributed to more drowning deaths over the past decades than imagined.

The hazard is not something people tend to think about when on a boat enjoying the sunshine and great outdoors. But the dangers are real.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

"It’s a problem people don’t recognize," Edwin Lyngar, a boating safety educator with the Nevada Department of Wildlife, said Friday. "People will start feeling nauseous and think they’re sea sick when they actually have mild carbon monoxide poisoning."

Last weekend, 22-year-old Lucas Allyn died after boating at Bear Lake in Utah when he was overcome by carbon monoxide. According to the Deseret News, Allyn spent a good part of the day at the rear of a boat — near its exhaust — hoisting skiers and swimmers out of the water.

"It happened in the open air. You would think it unbelievable until you think about how the gases recirculate near the back of the boat," Dr. Robert Baron, a medical adviser for Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, told the newspaper.

On Sunday, 12 people were treated in southern Nevada after being sickened while house boating on Lake Mead. Five were flown to a hospital in Las Vegas, four were taken by ambulance and three others were treated at the scene. All have since recovered.

"They were running their generator to keep the air conditioning going," said Christie Vanover, spokeswoman for the Lake Mead National Recreation Area. She said another boat parked next to it, causing the exhaust to circulate back into the house boat.

Lyngar said carbon monoxide poisoning while boating "is far more common than we thought."

He pointed to the ban on "teak surfing," where people hold onto a swim platform at the back of a boat and are pulled through the water. Platforms are near exhaust systems.

"People used to do that for fun," he said. "There were several fatalities nationwide." It is now illegal in many states.

story continues below
story continues below

Lyngar recalled another incident several years ago on Lake Powell, a reservoir on the Colorado River along the Utah-Arizona line. A girl died after washing her hair using the exhaust port from a generator.

"That exhaust is filled with carbon monoxide, but that spout also has warm water," Lyngar said.

Lyngar said a regional group that has studied deaths on the Colorado River concluded that carbon monoxide poisoning "was more prevalent than we thought."

"Going over the record of old accidents, we think a lot more of these are carbon monoxide-related," he said.

"I would say 10, 20 years ago we did not look at this as seriously as we do now," he said. "Over the last decade or two, we’ve recognized how serious it can be."

Baron, who has reviewed death and illness reports on Lake Powell for more than 25 years, agreed.

He and others have collected data showing more than 800 incidents of death or illness on U.S. waterways attributed to carbon monoxide since the mid-1990s.

"There is absolutely many more than that number," he told The Deseret News. "It’s still an under-recognized event."

Lyngar said it’s a good idea for boaters to have carbon monoxide detectors on board — and pay attention to them. Also, people should not linger in the back of a boat near exhaust.

Next Page >

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.