Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
In this photo provided by Jordan McLaughlin, a dust cloud rises as people run from the scene of a building collapse on the edge of downtown Philadelphia on Wednesday, June 5, 2013. Buoyed by the discovery of a woman buried in rubble nearly 13 hours later, rescue workers on Thursday were digging through the debris from the building collapse that killed six people a day earlier. (AP Photo/Jordan McLaughlin)
Police: Machine operator in Philadelphia building collapse was high
First Published Jun 07 2013 04:16 pm • Last Updated Jun 08 2013 02:35 pm

Philadelphia • The 42-year-old man who was operating the excavator at a demolition site when a Philadelphia building collapsed Wednesday, killing six and injuring 14, will be charged with six counts of involuntary manslaughter as well as counts of risking and causing a catastrophe, a senior law enforcement official said Friday.

Blood tests revealed marijuana in Sean Benschop’s system at such levels that "he was unfit to perform safety-sensitive, job-related duties," according to a toxicology report.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The report found that it was "reasonably scientifically certain" that Benschop, was an "active recent user of marijuana." Benschop has been arrested 11 previous times, including for drugs.

Benschop, who also used the alias Kary Roberts, according to court records, will also be charged with reckless endangerment and face additional charges for all of the injured victims in Wednesday’s collapse.

Meanwhile, Mayor Michael Nutter apologized Friday for the deadly collapse, and he announced new standards and enforcement actions designed to prevent similar tragedies in the future.

Promising to "find out what went wrong . and hold those responsible accountable," Nutter said new rules will require better inspections of demolition sites and quicker action to shut down shoddy work.

Despite citizen complaints in the weeks before the building collapse at 22nd and Market streets on Wednesday, city building inspectors had not visited the site while the building was being demolished.

"We know that something went horribly wrong," Nutter said in a City Hall news conference Friday. He did not specify how the city failed in its monitoring of the demolition, but said, "I want to personally apologize to the victims, their families, to the survivors and their families for what happened in our great city on Wednesday.

"I commit to you that we will make every effort and spare no resource to find out what wrong . and we will take every possible action that we can take to fix whatever systems, processes or procedures that need to be fixed to better insure our collective public safety."

City inspectors have now been dispatched to every demolition site to check for safety violations, Nutter said.


story continues below
story continues below

New rules will require the same level of city monitoring and contractor expertise at private demolition sites that have previously been required during the demolition at public sites.

Contractors will be required to have a safety plan and prove to inspectors that they are following it, and contractors will be required to detail their qualifications to tear down buildings safely.

And inspectors will now be required to visit demolition sites every 15 days after the issuance of a permit, and inspectors will be required to respond to all complaints within 48 hours and provide a detailed report of their findings, along with time-stamped photos.

---

©2013 The Philadelphia Inquirer

Visit The Philadelphia Inquirer at www.philly.com

Distributed by MCT Information Services



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.